I need a new belt! Calling all leather workers!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo!

I seem to be amassing belt buckles of various styles but have lost my old stud fasten belt,.

My question is actually aimed at the leather workers. I found a handmade full leather one on eBay for about £25 and it looks nice enough. Can one of you make me one to my/those specs for the same?

I'm thinking just shy of 2" wide, big enough o fit my 38" off season waist, round tip, pop or screw fasten closer, 4mm thick and in dark brown/muddy black with brass hardware?

Cheers chaps!

Samon

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol...not for 25 quid m8....

are you sure its ''handmade''?.......i see a lot of those and usually theyre pressed out on an arbor press using a press knife, holes and all....grooved on a machine....and made of pre-dyed....hardly handmade huh?

these ''leathersmiths'' seem to think its handmade just cos theyve whacked a few rivets in to put the buckle on.

makes me laugh my bottom off. and yes i've had bcukers come round my house with their 'handmade' belt only for me to prove without doubt to them that its not handmade at all. i'd be very careful about what you buy.

happy hunting! (actually send me the item number and i'll have a look m8)

s

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Thats the item number mate!

It looks good, and the price is low so I'm a little curious..

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I do handmade bridle leather belts, using oak-tanned English bridle leather made at the last traditional tannery left in England, with solid brass hand cast buckles, made at the last remaining buckle foundry in England, but not for £25. I can't remember if my membership allows me to make direct links to my web site, but if you did a general search for "The Old Leather Works", you'd find me. The online shop is a bit low on stock at the moment, but the web site show a fair few pictures of the sort of thing available.

Geoff :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
lol...not for 25 quid m8....

are you sure its ''handmade''?.......i see a lot of those and usually theyre pressed out on an arbor press using a press knife, holes and all....grooved on a machine....and made of pre-dyed....hardly handmade huh?

these ''leathersmiths'' seem to think its handmade just cos theyve whacked a few rivets in to put the buckle on.

makes me laugh my bottom off. and yes i've had bcukers come round my house with their 'handmade' belt only for me to prove without doubt to them that its not handmade at all. i'd be very careful about what you buy.

happy hunting! (actually send me the item number and i'll have a look m8)

s

absolutely spot on mate ;)

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I had a look at the listing, and with the options offered length, colour, more holes, fewer holes, with crease, without crease, I can't see how it isn't handmade. It's not fancy, but it's leather, made by hand and he probably isn't making a large profit. but it seems genuine.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol oh..

So they makes these belts from dyed leather but with a big cookie cutter and just fit the bits on after? I wondered why it was so cheap..

Angst, could you modify the belt you made me? Make it so the buckle is changeable and redye it?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>>
It looks good, and the price is low so I'm a little curious..

I've made a few and even at mates rates I wouldn't try to come in at £19.99 (or, for that matter, at £25). Not much of a fan of stud or screw attachment to be honest ~ and that's definitely a way they've brought the cost down.

It's also worth noting that you're asking whether someone can price match the item you've found ~ but you'd prefer your belt slightly thicker and 25% wider ... for the same price :yikes:

The crease he refers to must be the groove ~ might be worth asking to see a pic of the belt end; it can be a devil of a job to not over shoot and mess the belt up ;) . He doesn't seem to mention what he's used to finish and seal the leather ether ~ another possible question you might like to ask???

Although dye take up will be slightly different for each piece the way the leather's prepared and how much dye you put on has far more impact on the colour you end up with ;) (as does ambient temperature, humidity level, how hard you rub and buff ... etc etc)

It's also worth asking what size oval punch will be used ~ too small and your buckle won't operate properly or, potentially, won't fit at all :yikes:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Any thoughts on buying a precut veg tan belt length and doing all the other bits myself..? I think some come preholed for sizes so I won't have to buy too much gear. Hopefully just the odd bit and the obvious attachments and dye.

Thats a precut one ive been watching for a while.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
If you find what you want then go for it :D . It's worth knowing that veg-tan will pick up character as you use it ~ if you leave it out in the sun it will darken slightly over time* and the grime of life will also darken it ;) . So if you want a mid brown belt just wax or oil it :D If you like I can root out a bit of leather conditioned (not dyed) and take a pic of it next to some completely unfettered veg-tan ...

* Even dyed / finished / sealed leather will do this :D .

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
As Angst has said, "handmade" is a very vague term these days and can mean as little as doing one aspect of the construction by hand. To be honest you wouldn't have much change out of 25 quid just for top quality materials required to make the belt you want.
To further complicate things, some people make genuine handmade goods out of not so great materials, which kind of defeats the purpose of handmade and can warp general perception of what a well made, hand crafted piece costs.

That being said, everyone has different priorities and reasons for buying what they do, and for some the poorer item will suffice and they are happy to compromise.

rancid badger

There are still one or two folk, pottering about making stuff as "hobbyists" but I think most sellers on here now, are pretty clued up about the real value of their wares and (rightly so) are asking real and fair prices, for what they are producing.

If you want an idea of how much you pay for what is considered a top class custom item, contact this bloke: http://www.andy-bates.co.uk/index.html and give him your specifications. I think you might get a shock;)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Rancid Badger, your comment actually reminded me of just how well craftsmen in the 'bushcraft' world price their work. I've found that stuff on here is usually very well priced indeed, and often wonder how some can do it for the prices they charge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE