I made a spoon...!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
This isn't my first spoon.... But it's the only one I ever tried to make that finished actually looking like a spoon...!!!

Started with a piece of wood cut from a garden tree, and all my tools....
DSCF1737.jpg

Split the wood:
DSCF1739.jpg

Marked out the spoon and cut in the stop cuts:
DSCF1741.jpg

Started carving:
DSCF1743.jpg

Getting there now....lol
DSCF1742.jpg

Nearly done:
DSCF1750.jpg

Sanded and finished:
DSCF1753.jpg

DSCF1763.jpg

I'm really please with my 'first' spoon...:D

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
thats a cracker!

I really need to get a spoon knife and try one for myself!

Tom

Thank you... I got a mora spoon knife, but find it really hard to use..!! I'm not sure if i'm doing it right but it seems like a real task to get it going....
Took a big chunk of my thumb off too....!!!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Another trick how not to loose chunks of flesh to the tool is to put plaster on your thumb BEFORE work :) I do that all the time because my first spoon ended up like this:

DSC01782.JPG

With the plaster, or any other protection I have a lot more confidence and work goes a lot quicker.

Happy spoonin' mate ;) you've done a great job!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi offroadmick is it the double edged spoon knife, if it is which ever edge you use flatten of the otherside you shouldnt cut yourself so often, try it you know it makes sense ive mentioned this before as mora dont make the left handed spoonknife anymore only the double sided hope this helps and by the way nice spoon regards dave

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
hi offroadmick is it the double edged spoon knife, if it is which ever edge you use flatten of the otherside you shouldnt cut yourself so often, try it you know it makes sense ive mentioned this before as mora dont make the left handed spoonknife anymore only the double sided hope this helps and by the way nice spoon regards dave
Hi Dave, its just a single edge mora, I kept slipping and digging it in my thumb... I dont really know how to hold it or the angle to use it! I'll have to get on youtube and see how it's done.

Another trick how not to loose chunks of flesh to the tool is to put plaster on your thumb BEFORE work :)
Thanks milius2, I'll give it a try.

Thank you for all your positive comments guys... Half the fun of making stuff these days is to see what everybody else thinks of it! :D

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
nice job mate, i've recently been having a go with some logs in my garden..with no spoon/crook knife its a ****! tried making a crook knife from an old spoon and an old table knife but even though they looked like they'd work..they didn't, wouldnt take a decent edge.

C

Card-Board-Commando

goodjob that spoon looks awesome i'm starting to make one and i'm it will not look as good as yours i'll post the picture on the website when i'm done

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE