I have damaged my new sheath....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The knife went back in the sheath and has cut it. The sheath is 4mm veg tanned.
I am planning on undoing the sheath and sewing up the cut, but if anyone has a better idea...
Also, how would I prevent this from happening again..?

0cfb1af7.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've done this myself, what I did was cut a piece of plastic off an old box type file, you know the sort for keeping paper work in, its was about 2mm thick if that. Fold it in half and place it in the sheath this guides the blade into place and wont cut the leather, it will save you undoing the stitching, or you could use another piece of leather inside to cover the hole.

leon-1

The knife went back in the sheath and has cut it. The sheath is 4mm veg tanned.
I am planning on undoing the sheath and sewing up the cut, but if anyone has a better idea...
Also, how would I prevent this from happening again..?

0cfb1af7.jpg

Well mate that's a fair old pickle ain't it. What you can do is use ultra lock super glue, if you use the gel to bond it back together and the normal glue to the soak into the leather and harden it is an alternative to plastic inserts.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers guys... I don't think I could fit in a plastic insert as I made the sheath a bit too tight when I made it...
Leon... I like the idea of hardening the inside with glue... I will bring it round to yours somewhen this week, see what you reckon...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have no sensible advice on this problem Jon (no change there) but on the subject of safety inserts, old style "Tupperware" is a thermal plastic. If you cut large pieces and put it in a bowl of hot water, it can be moulded and sets hard as it cools - handy for impromptu blade guards etc.

Red

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Just catching up on things Jon, what happened with the sheath in the end??

Hi Leon, Jon here.. My pooter is broke and in for repairs right now...
I have just finished repairing it and I am very pleased with the results. I used the glue you gave me and also stitched it up to give it a butch kind of look. I also got rid of all the black stitching and used leather thong to sew it up with.. It was bloody hard work but it looks good.
I cut the length of the sheath down too, so the knife fits better into it and is easier to get too.
I also filled the sheath with watered down pva and it is now solid inside, so it shouldn't get cut again..
I will try to get some photo's up. Not sure if Janie has photoshop on here etc...
Thanks for all your help on it, I am well pleased with the results..:You_Rock_

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Cheers for the comments... I don't need to hot wax as I have used PVA inside the sheath and it has sorted the problem. I have no wax anyway...
Trust you to spot me toes Red. I shall pop off to get them pedicured asap...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE