I gave in and bought a GB Wildlife hatchet....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Evening All,

After much thought and reading of all manor of reviews, yesterday I took the plunge and went and bought a GB Wildlife hatchet from "The Bushcraft Store" (fairly local to me), £48.95 which I think is pretty good anyway plus I got 10% off for being a forum member so im a very happy boy!

I was really was tempted by the Husky hatchet and also the cold steel trail hawk but I wanted to inspect what I was buying rather than rely on someone doing it for me so there you have it, no real point to this thread. I just wanted to share my excitement!

Regards, Jon.

PS, no connection with the above retailer, just a happy customer etc, etc.

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I have a GB wildlife hatchet and a Husqvarna hatchet and although they are very similar I must say i prefer the GB, not for any loyalty sense purely on the feel of the hatchet, it feels lighter but still gives you more power in a swing than the Husqvarna, the GB also has a longer cutting edge the toe position is about the same but the heel on the GB extends further.

now this is only my opinion with using both hatchets, others im sure will have their own.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I really like my GB Wildlife Hatchet as youy can take it with you without feeling that you are taking something really big along with you; when I take my 24" big pack axe with me then you know you are carrying it. The Wildlife Hatchet just disappears into your pack or a side picket but is plenty good enough for 95% of my needs when I am out in the woods. Good tool.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Its a funny thing, I was beating myself up over the fact it was twice as expensive as the Husky and the reviews on the Husky are excellent but then I started comparing the GB axe prices in general against custom knives for example and thats when I decided that they really are not that badly priced at all (appreciate that the GB's are an off the shelf item and you cant design your own, but they are hand forged / finished).

Anyway, im blaming JonathanD. His post about the GB mini got me looking at the GB axes again!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I too love mine. I went from a really cheap one (all metal with rubber handle, which I had to regrind the edge to actually be able to cut anything) to the GB one and am never looking back. I find it packs a big punch for it's size and packs away in a 35L backpack and you'd never know it was there (good at train stations).

I thought to myself that I'd spend the money and get the GB as I know they have a great deal praise put upon them.

It's also got great build quality too! Can't moan about the way it looks either.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I've had mine for a few years now and I can't fault it for the little jobs that I don't want to carry a real big knife or a machete for.
It takes and holds a truly hair-raising edge : easily sharp enough for skinning or carving and easy to control for intricate jobs.
Obviously if you want to cut heavy duty timber you need an axe but personally when I'm out in the woods I don't want the weight of anything bigger than this.
With a Laplander and a decent bushy knife this makes for a great lightweight kit capable of most jobs that will come up.
Enjoy yours Jon.Cheers , Simon

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Im still liking my GB Wildlife but hava a couple of questions...

Can I use the blunt end (poll?) as a hammer?
How should I look afer it? Linseed on the helve and the axe head too? Shoe polish on the mask, what about the inside of the mask - leave it as it is?

Just want to keep it in tip top condition.

ATB, Jon.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Im still liking my GB Wildlife but hava a couple of questions...

Can I use the blunt end (poll?) as a hammer?
How should I look afer it? Linseed on the helve and the axe head too? Shoe polish on the mask, what about the inside of the mask - leave it as it is?

Just want to keep it in tip top condition.

ATB, Jon.

Yeah, hammer away, within reason of course. Treat the helve with linseed, and I treat the head with Danish oil and let it form a dry protective coating. I wipe the oil off the blade portion so it isn't thick there though. No need to treat the inside of the sheath, shoe polish works just fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE