i don't mean to gloat but.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

This book is now on my book shelf is it in yours?

• Total voters

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
look what i got off amazon for £15

survivalhandbookfl3.jpg

it's got some damage to the spine but the pages dont even look like they've been turned i cant believe my luck

and just for fun i've put a poll on the top

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Straight on to ebay is it James? ;)

Might be worth taking it along to your local library and seeing if there's a bookbinder who can repair the spine

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Is the content any different in the new paperback edition. If not then I will probably get one for £6, or there abouts...

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
if the first review is right and this book is organised in to seasons then it not the same as the guide to woodcraft and woodlore it would be interesting to have a look at a copy (any one want to lend me one so i can see?) i cant buy one until next pay day Angie will have a fit.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Well done,

I got my copy about 4 years back from a car boot for a fiver.

Mind you it's not in mint condition, some bloke called R Mears has written his name inside the front cover.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
This is one of his early books? Don't ever recall seeing his name written as Raymond. Havn't got one, got his newer one - 'Bushcraft - an inspirtational guide....blah blah'. Its not a good thing to be too 'Mearist'.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
sharp88 said:
This is one of his early books? Don't ever recall seeing his name written as Raymond. Havn't got one, got his newer one - 'Bushcraft - an inspirtational guide....blah blah'. Its not a good thing to be too 'Mearist'.

agreed but this out of all of his books IMO is the best

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thats a reasonable price regardless of the potential value.

I think the one to accompany his latest series was £20 or there about brand new...and that wasnt really a training guide so to speak.

The "Essential Bushcraft" book is ok and so is the "Outdoor Survival Handbook" both have some usefull infomation in. But having looked at the one you have just brought it does seem to cover a lot of stuff.

Its certainly not a collectors piece anymore due to the damage, so well done for getting a good book at a good price.

P.S talking of books, i got the new print of Animal Tracks and Signs for my birthday and was shocked to see that Ray's name was in a bolder font than the actual writers, despite just writing a foreword. Whats that all about!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
andyn said:
P.S talking of books, i got the new print of Animal Tracks and Signs for my birthday and was shocked to see that Ray's name was in a bolder font than the actual writers, despite just writing a foreword. Whats that all about!

marketing :rolleyes:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
scoops_uk said:
Is this a good time to mention I got one for £1.99 from a second hand bookshop last year?

Scoops :D
nice find been looking in the second hand stores for ages but to no avail

Andy it not a collectors item your right but i bought it as a user i really like what he has to say in it it's a pity he doesn't write books like this anymore, he should

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
jdlenton said:
Andy it not a collectors item your right but i bought it as a user i really like what he has to say in it it's a pity he doesn't write books like this anymore, he should

Good to hear mate!

To be fair, there's probably not a lot left to write about anymore!

Although i'd love to read a book made up by a multitude of these guys all with different stories in of things and places they have been and actually read about them, so I wonder when Ray will write an autobiography?
Rather than just see another reprint of a 1996 book where 2 drawings have been corrected and an additional page added :eek:

I was recommended an author recently, Gary Paulsen, and as well as a number of fiction books he also has written about his life, possibly with a little artistic license, but they are great reading too. Books that inspire are just as, if not more so, interesting to me these days than ones that try and teach.

Anyway im taking this welllllll Off topic, so i'll shut up now. LOL

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
Can't agree with you there mate, a big subject like bushcraft, always plenty to write about............

Jon, I mean without repeating whats already out on the shelves mate.

Every bushcraft book i've looked at has masses of overlap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE