I am amazed…..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
…..at how expensive it is to get back to basics, even with shopping around and buying ‘starter’ stuff it adds up to a lot.

Still have kit to get, maybe I will need foods from the wild after this :D

Looking forward to getting out and about with it though.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I am starting from scratch so I need everything, sleepingbag, basha etc, it adds up.

I realise that, with care, most of the kit will last for ages, so am looking forward to getting the initial cost out of the way.

I wasn't complaining, just commenting, as I know most of the kit is multi - use (a sleeping bag will be handy in many situations for example).

I have found that with careful looking around, kit can be bought at very reasonable prices, doesn't (for me) have to have a 'name'.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Steve R said:
I am starting from scratch so I need everything, sleepingbag, basha etc, it adds up.

I realise that, with care, most of the kit will last for ages, so am looking forward to getting the initial cost out of the way.

I wasn't complaining, just commenting, as I know most of the kit is multi - use (a sleeping bag will be handy in many situations for example).

I have found that with careful looking around, kit can be bought at very reasonable prices, doesn't (for me) have to have a 'name'.

I didn't think you were complaining. Just commenting on your comment. ;) :D

I must admit when looking at other forums around there does seem to be an element (albeit small) of showing off newly bought kit and it's as if at times there is an unwritten list of must haves or you are not given serious status. As an anthropologist this is evedent in a number of practical based online communities. On the other hand there is an increasing amount of people certaintly here anyway who are more than willing to experiment through trial and error , basic kit that is low cost and functional (Woolworths cutlery drainer as a fire box!) aswell as homemade gear.

It's as dear as you want it to be.

Get your basics in and anything else is a bonus esp if you make do and mend!

Reactions: Toddy

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
A few suggestions to cut the cost:

Frost's Clipper does everything you need in a knife. The handmade blades and stuff are lovely to have but not an essential.

If you wait a couple of months you'll be able to get by with a cheaper 2 season bag and maybe a liner for the colder nights..

Also a cheap clsed foam mat instead of an expensive thermarest.

A cheap tent means that you can cut down on the sleeping gear because it going to keep out the weather better than a basha.

By the time we get to next winter If you're hooked you'll find the cash for a -10 bag and a bivi cover.

You can get a starter hand axe from wilkinsons/lidls etc for a fiver. With a bit if fettling it will chop firewood. Again cegga's axes (and GB and Wetterling) are nice to have but not needed for a start.

A minimal first aid kit is about 2GBP - in fact the one that sits in my thigh pocket was 99p. OK for minor cuts and scrapes. I just added a couple of packs of steristrips for the more major cuts. I also carry a reel of micropore.

All the 'big emergency' gear can wait. Backup firelighting can be a Bic (Five for a pound). The likelyhood is that you are not going to be more than a couple of hours from the nearest road.

Spend the next couple of months sat on the back step with a stone fettling your axe and knife and practicing your cutting skills.

Edit: If you are going down the basha route look at the german army ponchos. A basha and a rain coat all in one...

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
w00dsmoke said:
I must admit when looking at other forums around there does seem to be an element (albeit small) of showing off newly bought kit and it's as if at times there is an unwritten list of must haves or you are not given serious status.

You'd noticed? :D

My missus was gobsmacked at what people will pay for a knife or a leather pouch. And many have more than one...

Mind you, I am just as guilty - I spend a lot of money on climbing and mountaineering equipment.

I have to say, I'm always impressed to see what people have made themselves and, when I get the courage to have a go, I hope I can make some items that are half as good as those I've seen on this site.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
w00dsmoke said:
I must admit when looking at other forums around there does seem to be an element (albeit small) of showing off newly bought kit and it's as if at times there is an unwritten list of must haves or you are not given serious status. As an anthropologist this is evedent in a number of practical based online communities. On the other hand there is an increasing amount of people certaintly here anyway who are more than willing to experiment through trial and error , basic kit that is low cost and functional (Woolworths cutlery drainer as a fire box!) aswell as homemade gear.

It's as dear as you want it to be.

Get your basics in and anything else is a bonus esp if you make do and mend!
Well Made point :) Just how often do we see gear up for sale or swap with the tag 'unused' on it? Perhaps its just that I have never had lots of spare cash, or that I feel I am quite a practical sort of person, but I do like to try and make as much of my kit for myself. Some things are a bit difficult, like a sleeping bag, or an axe, but you can make quite a bit if try. Companies charge what they think you will pay. :eek:

Jan 22, 2006
uk
to me, making you're own kit or modding it from broken / 2nd hand kit is great.
fair enough its not always the best but when you see the native people who live the life we admire - they have gear that has almost always home made and adapted to suit the purpose.

i know its daft but i get a bit embarrased about having kit sometimes, sledgehammer to crack a walnut and all that...

in summer, a cheapo sleeping bag is all you need - if that. get the stuff you want as you feel you need it. an old duvet is enough if its dry and you'll learn more about what kit you actually want.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Small-Camp.jpg

You don't need a lot of gear. The tarp here could be replaced with a plastic sheet.

The sleeping bag with a good blanket like I used when I was a kid.

The stove comes from Ikea and a billy can be made from a kitchen container.

Anything else we get is just about the enjoyment of using good equipment.

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
I know what you mean about people and the lastest gear it's human nature and while I do sometimes like to get into the mines better then yours debates I also think that when your at a get together and everyones clad in the same old stuff with the same old accesories there's something a little cool about those cooking in a tin can and sleeping under plastic.

keep it cheap and cheerful if you need to and if you can afford nice gear just make sure you can use or you'll up looking a little stupid!!

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Steve R said:
…..at how expensive it is to get back to basics, even with shopping around and buying ‘starter’ stuff it adds up to a lot.

It can be expensive, as others have said it depends on whether your happy to make some gear and start off with a more 'intorductory' model on some of the other bits of kit. Most of the core kit can be picked up realtively cheap with some shopping around.

I have to admit though that I have a fairly silly amount of kit and to be perfectly honest most of it was purchased based on wanting it not needing it :)

Getting back to basics can mean carrying/wearing serveal thousand pounds worth of gear, crazy when I think about it, fun though and keeps me out of mischief :D

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Think if you are spending a serious amount of dosh then you are missing the point get army surplas etc if you can look at car boot fairs etc it great fun and there is many a bargain to be had .Tip if you get a used down sleeping bag simply clean it with a antiseptic spray to get the dirt off then put it in the freezer for 48 hours that will kill any mites etc . my favorite tent is simply the outer fly of an old two man £1 or 2 at the most pet bottles are great for water and a couple of mess tins and a home made hobo stove it does not get simpler

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Thanks for the replies/advice folks.

I have made a start and here is where I am at so far.

Tracpac 4 sleeping bag £25.00... (new, )Local Army Surplus store.

Camo Basha (new) £24…. Local Army Surplus store.

Crusader mug, second hand, £3....Local Army Surplus store

American Army Hammock (I don’t do sleeping on the ground if I can help it, the old back ya know ) , £10 + P&P…..Ebay (on its way )

Two water bottles/pouches £3.99 each….Market Army surplus stall.

Emergency kit (survival) which includes cheapo fire steel, £3.99…Market Army surplus stall.

50 feet 7mm paracord £7.00…..Local Army Surplus store.

2 x 20 feet 4mm paracord £2.00 each,….Local Army Surplus store.

KFS in pouch (inc can opener), £5.99....Millets.

I bought a pouch, I think its for a game boy, on a boot sale for 50p filled it with first aid stuff, very handy, lots of pockets.

Already have a sleeping mat, walking boots, bush hat, folding shovel (copy, bought it on a boot sale £2.00 pouch cost £3.99,) outdoor trousers, shirts, coat, rucksack, couple of webbing belts.

Intend to get Frost knife, axe, folding saw, cooker, fire steel, cooking/eating kit, one of those German Army poncho’s that bent-stick mentioned (have used them before, very versatile).

Shopping around is difficult for me, especially on the internet as I have no paypal, bank account, debit or credit cards, (the hammock from ebay is a gift from a friend).

I am enjoying the setting up and have found a lot of tips on this site, you are all a great bunch.

I tested the sleeping bag indoors, not as crazy as it sound because I sleep very hot, sweating rather than cold is liable to wake me, performed well, looking forward to testing it in the garden next.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Forgot to add, now I have to wait for my next payday (every 4 weeks).

Oh, and hopefully I will always have the means to light a fire with me, I am a smoker :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE