Hurdles????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O

othello

I was reading a site the other day and the people were talking about bill hooks and they mentioned ,making hurdles and how it was very difficult and i guess they weren't talking abouthte kind used in the races so could someone please explain to me what they are thanks.

J

Jamie

Hiya

Ed is right and the explanation on his link is a good one. Historically, the hurdles were used as a lightweight fencing option that shepherds could carry into the 'hills' to use on their herds.

I'm sure that Jack, being a master hurdlemaker himself, will be able to put a lot more flesh onto Ed's and my post!

All the best

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
If your library has a copy of John Seymour's excellent "The Forgotten Arts & Crafts," published by Dorling Kindersley, then it's worth looking through it for the section on hurdles. The illustrations and descriptions are very good, along with period photos, and there's also information on billhooks.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Dear Othello.

It nice to see someone taking a interest in hurdle making.

In a quiet graveyard in the east of the country there is a gravestone and on this gravestone it simply says ‘ Here lays a Hurdle Maker’ To me, this is powerfully symbolic. Hurdle Makers were held in the rural districts with such high regard that they were virtually on an equal par with the shepherd who had awesome regard from everyone in the district, some would say, more than the local vicar.

Historically, hurdles were used for the ‘ folding’ ( fencing in) of sheep. We have to go back centuries to paint the picture........this will all make sense in a minute, trust me.

The countryside as we know it today with all of the hedges and square fields is relatively new to our countryside. We have all heard of the ‘ prairie fields’ in the US, how vast they are and you can see for miles upon miles. Well, this was how England was in the middle ages. This form of land management was called ‘The Open Field System’.

We had no hedges, they came later, under what is known as ‘The Enclosure Movement’ when the whole of the countryside, which was mostly ‘common land’ which meant that it belong to the commoners, was carved up and given to the powerful Lords of the manor ( more than likely some of your ancestors were made homeless at this point). Farming practises change dramatically we were a corn growing country, which was highly labour intensive. The black death swept throughout the country and wiped out half of the population. With no one left to manage the land the Lords and the markets dictated that we should be farming sheep, not for there meat but for their wool. It must be remembered, that this country’s wealth is based on the wool export trade which started in the middle ages. Even some of the most powerful families in the country today are only so because of the wealth there ancestors made in the era of the wool trade an example people being the Spencer family- Lady Diana’s clan.

So, with so many sheep in the country and no hedges. How where they going to keep them in. During the day, these massive sheep flocks roamed the down lands and at night they were brought down onto the arable land. The only fertiliser we had in those days was natural fertiliser and this came from the sheep as they grazed the arable land. To keep the sheep flocks penned in ( folding) they used wattle hurdles which are robust and light to transport. They were used at lambing time to be a lambing fold, a temporary farm yard if you like.
If it wasn’t for the humble hurdle that was keeping all oh theses sheep under control, this country wouldn’t of had the wealth it accumulated to go on and build the most powerful empire the world had ever seen.

The hurdle is nothing new, the oldest one ever found in this country is 7,000 years old!

Hurdle making is unarguably, the supreme of all woodland skills. It was so important that it was look upon as helping in the war effort and you were exempted from going to war as many thousands of hurdles were used as stretchers, especially in the evacuation of Dunkirk and many of our woodland here in Dorset produced hurdles for this purpose.

If you can make a hurdle, you will be able to tackle any other woodland craft as nothing is so complicated as hurdle making and once you have been able to make your first hurdle you will know exactly what achievement is all about. One of the most exceptional points about hurdle making is the fact that you can walk into a wood and cut all of your material, trim it, split it and produce a functional object with just one billhook, nothing else.

It is a brutal way to earn a living at times and it isn’t for the faint hearted, but it can, and is taught. It will take you two days to learn and a life time to get it right! I guarantee you that, once you have made your first hurdle you will be addicted, as the woodland way of life gets into your blood and it will change your life profoundly, and that I promise you.

The woodlands are in all of us, it just takes time for some of
us to realise it.

Hope that helps, and next time I will write a long reply.

Jack.

If you like more detail on the woodlands please click on our Education page and then click on woodland clues, it may be of interest to you.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Wow, Thanks Jack, That was fascinating. Tied up alot of history i had not managed to piece together before.
Did you know that the speaker in the house of commons to this very day still sits on a wool sack ? as this represented the seat of the wealth of the nation.
The sheep themselves were transported around the country to market (often North Wales all the way to London) by drovers - renound for being "well Hard" but a trustworthy lot. You didn't mess with them. Pubs would hang a wool sack from the sign if drovers were welcome (generally they didn't want any trouble). So they'd deliver your sheep then collect the Money (that was a hell of alot of money too) and return safely with all your cash. It wasn't long before these men were intrusted with money to transport around the country or would pay you upfront and collect for you at the other end...And that is the origin of Lloyds bank many many years ago.....
I heard that tale tales from a guy named Jack Hargreaves on a tape I got out the library called " The Old Country". I had never heard of him but apparently he used to be on the telly? (A bit before my time) I've managed to get a video called "out of town". Its all good stuff and i'd like to find more like the tape, if you know of any? Or I may have to go see Jack at woodland organics, learn to make hurdle in 2 days and listen to some more fascinatin banter.
Thanks folks
Rich

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Just a nugget of info which you might find useful!

The drovers moving livestock - often considerable distances - around the country used well established route; drove roads. You may well have walked these in your wanderings; many of the ridgeways in southern England follow drove roads of great antiquity. If you are out and about and you find yourself walking a hedged track around 10 metres wide then odds on you're on one!

Now a drover moving several hundred animals needs to stop each night at a fairly safe location with a good water supply. They would pay good money to any landowner who could offer these conditions so a tradition grew up whereby a landowner would plant a group of pine trees at a suitable location as a sign for the drovers. Especially on the (generally) treeless downs, these pines could be seen for miles and can still be seen today.

How does this relate to bushcraft? Well a group of pines means potentially a source of water. It's not always 100% reliable (over time some of these water supplies have dried up) but it something to look out for on a hot day if you're on a ridgeline).

Bob :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thanks for that Nugget Bob,
I've stayed in a number of droves with Horsedrawn travellers i know. There seem to be some peculiar legal loopholes regarding droves, but iam not sure exactly how we stand, and its never really an issue if you are just passing through. I would love to know the whereabouts of more droves, they make exelent stop ups and have a nice feel about them, kind suffused with history. Plus they're ideal for our puposes.
Cheers
Rich

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Dear Rich.

It's wonderful to see the name Jack Hargreaves mentioned on here.

He was a fantastic countryman and very knowledgeable one at that. His programmes were amazing and had me glued to the set every time he came on. His programme was called Out of Town and it was all about country life. It was first broadcasted in 1959 and was set to run for 6 months...............24 years later he retired. We owe him a lot. He had the foresight to record our old way of life on film and on paper as he lived through the time when our countryside went through a rapid change. A landscape and a way of life that had been the same for nearly a thousand years, transformed over night.

He had published two books, the first was Out of Town- A life Relived on Television and the second, The Old Country. Both books are very sad and both very powerful. I strongly recommend them to you, they will make you think and they will make appreciated your countryside and the country people with in it.

We are desperate for a programme like this now, it would have massive viewing figures, but the powers that be just won’t listen.

You are more than welcome to borrow my own copies and incidentally, he lived in my Mothers village, about 6 miles from me and his ashes are scattered on Okeford hill, about two miles from me and I have here at home a Elm, cart wheel hub that he was turning on a lathe driven by the water wheel of my Uncles Water mill!

Best wishes.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE