Hunting with Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

saurian

Has anyone seen this type of catapult and are they any good for hunting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Checked the catapult issue out at work, it is an offence to use any missile fired other than from a firearm to hunt any wild animal or bird in Northern ireland. It dosent specifically mention catapults but as you are firing a missile from it and it isnt a firearm it comes under this legislation as does arrows darts etc.

Paul

As a 'missile' is designed by definition to 'miss' (they explode in proximity), then as long as you hit the animal, you could be ok! (that's not legal advice!)

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
alls i know is, that i asked a copper if i could and he said aslong as you have permission to hunt on the land you shoot on, dont threaten anybody and only shoot what can be humanelt killed i cant see any laws being broken.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I have ahunter from Fish (don't think he makes them anymore.)
I use .45 calibre lead balls.
It has a LOT of stopping power! It has more ft/lbs within its range then an air rifle (non licence one ie your usual spring one).
Within its range obviously.
A great bit of kit and with practice (I never seem to get enough time), it can be very accurate. I reccomend looking on jacks shed forum. lots of info and experienced people on there.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
i have got a catty from gamekeeper jonh (oldmansballbagon youtube :p) and i love it. very comfy in the hand, powerful and lovely to look at. it took me a while to get accurate with it, but i found out the trick is not to try and aim with the cattapult, but just to focus on the point you want to hit, draw the catty whilst not paying attetntion to it at all, just focusing on a pinpoint you want to hit on the target, and release. after about 100 shots with this i could reliably hit the bottom of a tin can at 12yrds. so far i have only had a rat and a squirrel but i will keep working at getting a bunny or pigeon. the main reason i got one is because most of the time i can't be bothered to go through the hassle of getting my airgun out and lobbing it around when i go for a walk through my garden, and end up kicking myslef when there is a woody or a squirrel in perfect range. you can slip a catty and a few lead balls in your pocket with no fuss at all.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
i imagine the elevation would change the trajectory of the ball becasue of the differing effects of gravity. with such a large heavy porkjectile i imagine the difference would be quite noticeable :(

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
i found out the trick is not to try and aim with the cattapult, but just to focus on the point you want to hit, draw the catty whilst not paying attetntion to it at all, just focusing on a pinpoint you want to hit on the target, and release.QUOTE]

this is the same method i use. look at target then pull and shoot. if i held the elasic pulled tight whilst aiming i would start wobbling all over the place. when i was a kid i wanted an air rifle but my dad wouldnt let me have one until i could knock a pigeon offf a telegraph pole at 50ft. i spent about a year practising with marbles and ball bearings. i managed to prove myself worthy but it took another two years to save up for the rifle i wanted

B

Bobishere

Hello everybody; just about the only forum I've ever used properly is a catapulting one (slingshotforum.com) for the last two years I've been hunting and shooting with catties in public places, after three years of research, I've discovered that the catapult is quite legal for supplying sustenance and has been since the end of the war (they didn't want to make bows legal again) but you are definately not allowed to use it for any commercial food purpose. And there are the restrictions mentioned before, such as humane killing, the specific quarry and good old fashioned 'reason' aka common sense. This is why you will not find anyone that has been prosecuted for minimal hunting alone; but that will change if everyone goes out and starts shooting pidgeons in a hurry.
I have videos of tutorials to make your own and reviews of catapults from great masters, like Jorg Sprave, Pete Hogan of Milbro Pro-shot UK, and the afore-mentioned 'Gamekeeper John' or John, as I know him (and I know Fishes 'Jack's' work too. And Rufus Hussey is my catapult shooting hero.) It is a tool I'd reccommend for all bushcrafters to get to grips with (no pun intended) and if you'd like to know more, please ask. Or even better, if you know more, please tell.

Supposed to have a link to two videos ... 'silly billy bumble-bee' and 'hunting and gathering' which you can find if you search the term and add 'catapults' thank-you.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bobishere

Sorry; can someone help me with posting video links?

I'm wanderinggibbon on youtube.

The Green Fox

Apr 15, 2012
kingston
So with this information could I go down to my local golf course, with a cobra slingshot,20 od snairs and offer my services as a rabit hunter. For ' pest control ' . In return for money/membership/half the kills. Also post-note yes I am aware this is a 'dead' thread

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE