Hunting License!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Today i was at the hunting license exam. First we had to answer 40 questions, from which only 4 wrong answers are tolerated. I had 38 right answers, but my errors were dumb. Well 2 guys had to drive home again. Failed! Then it was time for the practical part. Distance measurement, 6 animals, from which 1 wrong answer will be tolerated. I had all of them correct. :)

Lastly but not least, 4 shots with a shotgun. I chose the side by side, because I like that one best. 4 shots, piece of cake. Looked through the barrels and handed over the gun. Handshake and congratulations from the supervising hunting consultant. :D You are now a fully qualified hunter, allowed to shoot everything from red deer, to ducks.

Cheers.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Lurch said:
Why a side by side Andy? I'm not a fan of them myself, I can't get on with the broadness of them.
Well, I like an over/under best when shooting clay pidgs, but this time i chose the side/side to be on the safe side, meaning that an over/under has 1 trigger, while the s/s has 2. If you choose the s/s you're sure not to fire second shot, by mistake. (yes I know it's rare it happens, but rather be safe than sorry)
This s/s was a spanish one, really nice gun, not so broad as others. :)

Anyway, s/s are designed for the field, while o/u are designed for the skeet range.

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
Hey guys, where in the uk do you have to have a hunting lisence cos i dnt have 1 and have been out shooting with my friends (one of them being the local bobby) and never heard of or been asked about one. Unless you r refering to a shotgun lisence? :confused:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Dorian Gra said:
Hey guys, where in the uk do you have to have a hunting lisence cos i dnt have 1 and have been out shooting with my friends (one of them being the local bobby) and never heard of or been asked about one. Unless you r refering to a shotgun lisence? :confused:

The Viking is Danish so he has to have a licence and Lurch is speculating that it will soon be law in this country to have a licence to hunt.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
TheViking said:
Well, I like an over/under best when shooting clay pidgs, but this time i chose the side/side to be on the safe side, meaning that an over/under has 1 trigger, while the s/s has 2.

Some do, some don't. For both. True that you are much more likely to find a double trigger on a s/s.

TheViking said:
If you choose the s/s you're sure not to fire second shot, by mistake. (yes I know it's rare it happens, but rather be safe than sorry)

Very rare. So rare in fact that I've never heard of it happening unless there is a fault with the gun.

TheViking said:
This s/s was a spanish one, really nice gun, not so broad as others. :)

Anyway, s/s are designed for the field, while o/u are designed for the skeet range.

I don't know the history of guns in your country but over here the only reason that s/s was more common in the field is that the type is easier to make and ever so slightly quicker to unload. I defy anyone to notice the difference with a modern gun. s/s used to (and still do a bit) have a certain snob factor on the driven game line because the 'best' gun makers were slow on the uptake with o/u.
These days o/u's are more common in the field than the s/s.

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Congratulations - happy hunting.

I've always preferred side by side, I guess that's because it's what I'm used to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE