hunters moon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uncle Alvah

Sep 27, 2008
Duncan NC
Lots of deer hunters follow the moon phases closely to plan a hunt.
Personally, I hunt weather fronts and usually don't pay any attention to the moon.
I always heard that the term Hunters Moon just sort of casually referred to the full moon of October because, traditionally, it's the month when most hunting gets underway.
Deer seasobn opens here saturday, I can't wait to get out and about!

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I used to know an old blind Iroquois, and this is what I remember of what he told me on that subject: January is the Ice moon, February is the Hunger moon, March = Wind, April = Rain, May = Planting, June = Green, August = Grass turns brown, October = Harvest, November = hunting. He told me that November is the best moon for hunting because of the rut and the cold temps, so meat can be put by for winter. Wish I could remember July, September and December.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I used to know an old blind Iroquois, and this is what I remember of what he told me on that subject: January is the Ice moon, February is the Hunger moon, March = Wind, April = Rain, May = Planting, June = Green, August = Grass turns brown, October = Harvest, November = hunting. He told me that November is the best moon for hunting because of the rut and the cold temps, so meat can be put by for winter. Wish I could remember July, September and December.

I do like old saying - some times they can give a good reference point, For me the grass is still growing and its to wet to cut...:rolleyes:

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I do like old saying - some times they can give a good reference point, For me the grass is still growing and its to wet to cut...:rolleyes:

One of my favourites, and related to the thread.

There are a lot of stories associated with the Scottish Clans. The McFarlanes were renowned for "lifting" cattle from their richer neighbours. The clan march is "Thogail nam Bo theid sinn" (To Lift the Cows We Shall Go). They became so famous for this activity that, throughout the Highlands, the full moon became known as "McFarlanes' lantern".

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
Actually each month has a different named moon. This is left over from the old celtic calendar, when the year started in October and there were extra months all over the place lol.
Anyway the moons were named in accordance with the seasons and their corresponding myths and legends. Other moon names included wolf moon, blood moon, mead moon, dispute moon... etc...

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonnames.htm

this is a real useful site if anyone's interested. the name hunter moon is supposed to refer to the aspect of the old celtic hunter god, who was supposed to ride out and capture wandering souls at Samhain (All Hallows), which falls at the end of october

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE