How's your memory? For the older bushcrafter!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've just been watching a RM programme where he talks about traditional skills in Sweden. When I was at school in the 1950's we were shown a film about Lapland and therte was a scene where a lad catches a trout by slowly placing a loop of grass around it and pulling out the fish. THis image has remained with me all those years and I have 2 questions.

Does anyone else remember (want to confess) this film?
Does anyone out there know about this type of fishing? Seems a bit like tickling trout.:confused:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I thought that this kind of snare fishing was mostly used for pike? During the heat of the summer days the pikes in streaming water sometimes seek out shallow and calm water. If you are very silent and move very carefully you can sometimes use a snare on a stick to try to catch the fish. It is not legal I guess (as usual). This would probably work for trout to.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've not seen this however, I know that folk use a wire snare on a stick, slip it over the head and pull the fish out by its tail...not very sporting though
Sporting?
Do you want to eat or to sit by a river with your rod in your hand?:D
Sporting indeed, (strolls off mumbling to self in a distracted manner....):D

Wasn't there a poacher's trick called 'tailing'? where you had a wire snare on a stick and you approached the fish from behind and slipped the snare over the tail and caught your fish that way.

As for the memory thing I work with too much aluminium to be.........

What was I saying?

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
As for the memory thing I work with too much aluminium to be.........

I too once read that aluminium was bad for you... but I can't remember why:rolleyes:

I also heard about a guy who had read about the dangers of aluminium and memory. He went into John Lewis Partnership and bought a new set of stainless pans to replece his aluminium ones. He was 90 years old... Now that is optimism.:eek:

ganstey

Settler
I also heard about a guy who had read about the dangers of aluminium and memory. He went into John Lewis Partnership and bought a new set of stainless pans to replece his aluminium ones. He was 90 years old... Now that is optimism.:eek:

I remember back in the days of the big BSE/vCJD scare one of the TV news programmes going to a supermarket to interview shoppers on whether it had affected their buying habits. Most of the ones who said they had stopped buying beef looked well over 60 :rolleyes:

G

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I've just been watching a RM programme where he talks about traditional skills in Sweden. When I was at school in the 1950's we were shown a film about Lapland and therte was a scene where a lad catches a trout by slowly placing a loop of grass around it and pulling out the fish. THis image has remained with me all those years and I have 2 questions.

Does anyone else remember (want to confess) this film?
Does anyone out there know about this type of fishing? Seems a bit like tickling trout.:confused:

I suppose it could work, but trout aren't quite the right shape for this tactic. Unlike salmon, they don't have a pronounced 'wrist' to the caudal peduncle. Wire noose tailers (and gaffs) were, until very recently, used as a method of landing salmon (in rod and line fishing). I think they are now generally frowned upon or proscribed by law. They were to be found in fishing tackle catalogues as recently as ten years ago. These days, we generally hand tail any salmon that are either to be released or kept. Landing nets are used when landing a fish from a high bank or when boat fishing.

Wire nooses on long poles were (are?) used by river keepers to remove pike from trout streams where their presence is unwelcome.

Burnt Ash

Been there got the T shirt long before it was outlawed, its a good quick and humane way to catch and despatch your pray if done correctly, landing a salmon via rod and reel can be a long drawn out streesfull event for the fish, which is more humane is in question today is the sport fair or unfair, if your going to put it back then I suppose its fair, if your gonna eat it I think its unfair, get it over with quickly and enjoy the bounty, its a lot cheaper using a snare though.

On the pike issue, its the hunter becomming the hunted, should be one rule for all if, its going to be a rule that is.

:rolleyes:

Davy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE