How toxic is Horses hoof fungus to handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Quick question.
How toxic is horses hoof fungus?

Don't worry I don't want to eat the stuff.
Just maybe turn it into Ammadou.
How careful do I need to be?

What I'm thinking of is if I'm in the field and perhaps I don't have access to proper handwashing facilities.

Am I correct in thinking the Chinese infuse it to make a kind of tea?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
All mushrooms can be handled even the very poisonous ones.

I don't know about tea from horses hoof, i have drunk a drink made from ganoderma. It was supposed to taste like coffee, it tasted like macro aro brand coffee, which is possibly the most disgusting "coffee" on planet.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for the replies.
I maybe should be more clear
I've messed about with fomes before and am still here to tell the tale.
I know it can be handled .

It was more of a question of it's use in the field where I would expect to be able to rinse my hands (and knife) off but may not be able to scrub my hands.

I'm sure that the mention that it gets on rogers mushrooms website say's that it tastes bitter

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It is interesting that Rogers Mushrooms gives the taste of many of the species described, including some poisonous ones, with the statement that provided you only taste with the tip of your tongue and then give your mouth a good rinse afterwards, you should suffer no ill effects. I'm assuming that this is a reliable source and that the statement is therefore true...

...however, I'm not sure that I would want to taste a potentially deadly species. For example, if we take perhaps the worst case example, I wonder how much Death Cap you would need to eat to become ill (or more specifically how little you could eat and not become ill) - i.e. could you taste Death Cap using the tip-of-the-tongue method as described in Rogers Mushrooms and survive? Not that I'm going to try it myself...

Geoff

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is interesting that Rogers Mushrooms gives the taste of many of the species described, including some poisonous ones, with the statement that provided you only taste with the tip of your tongue and then give your mouth a good rinse afterwards, you should suffer no ill effects. I'm assuming that this is a reliable source and that the statement is therefore true...

...however, I'm not sure that I would want to taste a potentially deadly species. For example, if we take perhaps the worst case example, I wonder how much Death Cap you would need to eat to become ill (or more specifically how little you could eat and not become ill) - i.e. could you taste Death Cap using the tip-of-the-tongue method as described in Rogers Mushrooms and survive? Not that I'm going to try it myself...

Geoff

You need to swallow a teaspoonful to reliably do yourself in. I don't routinely taste wild mushrooms, only certain groups like milk caps and russulas. I know that deathcaps are tasteless, but that is taking the word of good field field guides like rogers and I am no hurry to try out tasting death caps. However horses hoof has no known toxicity and I would be quite happy to put a small piece of it in my mouth,as I am pretty sure no harm would come of it. I don't wash hands after handling it, in fact i don't wash my hands after handling death caps either. As the amount of fungi that remains on hands after handling is so small it would so far below what is required to cause poisoning, so there is no risk.

Some wild plants and the odd fungi can leave a bitter taste on hands after handling, I would wipe my hands after handling if this is the case. After tasting some fungi the bitter taste can be quite persistent indeed. The other week a tasted a russula drimeia (sardonia), it was the worst tasting thing have ever had in my mouth, so bad that water couldn't get rid of the taste, so I took a unripe blackberry and ate that, that actually worked. If anything out there causes that type of problem a sharp taste like sorrel, dock rowan or unripe edible fruit normally fixes it for me.

Horse hoof shouldn't cause any problems from handling. Don't handle any unknown member of the carrot family without washing you hands though, they can cause very nasty rashes indeed, and some are very toxic if ingested.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Thanks again for the replies.
I didn't think it was toxic, but wasn't sure
As I have said I have handled the stuff with no ill effects so far.

I collected some the other day and it occured to me that I didn't know for sure

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE