How tough are Scotsmen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We get the battered Mars bars down here, it's the deep fried pizza I want to try. I found them in Montrose at the end of my TGO walk but I was too full of fish and chips to attempt a slice. I think they called it Crunchy?

That's surprisingly good :D
Folded over so the cheese doesn't go manky and it's like crunchy pizza type cheesy garlic bread :)

Haven't managed to make a gluten free one yet :sigh:

M

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
5udy6e7e.jpg

Orric

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
i dont know how anyone can drink irn bru, my son loves it but i wont let him have it(his gran lets him occasionaly) its the most sickly sweet orange coloured muck ive ever had the miss fortune to taste...as for covering in batter well that stops with a nice piece of haddock for me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I used to go out with a lassie that used Irn-Bru as part of her hangover strategy. It basically revolved around orange food! She'd drink Irn-Bru, and eat cheesy Wotsits, along with a soft gooey microwaved orange cheesed oven pizza with more orange rubber cheese grated on top. It seemed to work for her. I dread to think wht the chem count was doing to her.

Also remember my first Monday living in Glasgow thinking it was like a Rab C Nesbit wonderland - all these guys in suits with Irn-Bru bottles sticking out of the pocket.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
i dont know how anyone can drink irn bru, my son loves it but i wont let him have it(his gran lets him occasionaly) its the most sickly sweet orange coloured muck ive ever had the miss fortune to taste...as for covering in batter well that stops with a nice piece of haddock for me.

I don't like the diet stuff, but then I don't like those no added sugar drinks that are beyond sickly sweet; no wonder kids end up believing they need so much sugar.
I reckon a taste for the fake sweeteners is worse for them, and that in moderation a little sugar isn't going to do any harm. Good toothbrushes are a very, very good thing :)

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't like the diet stuff, but then I don't like those no added sugar drinks that are beyond sickly sweet; no wonder kids end up believing they need so much sugar.
I reckon a taste for the fake sweeteners is worse for them, and that in moderation a little sugar isn't going to do any harm. Good toothbrushes are a very, very good thing :)

cheers,
Toddy

The drinks with artificial sweeteners are labeled as such; usually called "Diet" or "light" or something like. If they're labeled "No Added Sugar" iy means just that; that the bottler didn't add anything to it. Instead the sugar comes from whatever occurs naturally in said drink.

It surprises many that plain ordinary fresh squeezed fruit juice (with nothing added) contains more sugar naturally than a Coke has added! And it's just as acidic on your teeth. That's why some of the juice bottlers/boxers are now marketing various juice boxes marked Juice For Tots which is basically just pure juice diluted with water.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The drinks with artificial sweeteners are labeled as such; usually called "Diet" or "light" or something like. If they're labeled "No Added Sugar" iy means just that; that the bottler didn't add anything to it. Instead the sugar comes from whatever occurs naturally in said drink.

It surprises many that plain ordinary fresh squeezed fruit juice (with nothing added) contains more sugar naturally than a Coke has added! And it's just as acidic on your teeth. That's why some of the juice bottlers/boxers are now marketing various juice boxes marked Juice For Tots which is basically just pure juice diluted with water.

Not here it doesn't :sigh: it's so full of the artificial stuff that I can taste it hours later :( and trying to find diluting juice that doesn't have artificial sweeteners added is a pain.
The auntie drinks those fruit shoots things and I have no idea how she manages to swallow them, they're beyond sweet.

My kids did get diluting juice, but one had an allergy to azo dyes and I hated the thought of them getting the artificial sweetners so often I just made or bought fruit syrups and diluted those right down for them.
There's always ribena too :D

Hot ribena at camp is a goodie :D

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not here it doesn't :sigh: it's so full of the artificial stuff that I can taste it hours later :( and trying to find diluting juice that doesn't have artificial sweeteners added is a pain.
The auntie drinks those fruit shoots things and I have no idea how she manages to swallow them, they're beyond sweet.

My kids did get diluting juice, but one had an allergy to azo dyes and I hated the thought of them getting the artificial sweetners so often I just made or bought fruit syrups and diluted those right down for them.
There's always ribena too :D

Hot ribena at camp is a goodie :D

cheers,
M

It might surprise you how sickeningly sweet 100% pure fruit juice is. If you look at the nutrition label on the side of the drink you'll see it contains more sugar than soft drinks such as Coke or Pepsi, etc. And that's not "added" sugar; it's the naturally occurring sugar. Not with grapefruit juice obviously but with the popular ones anyway: Apple juice, grape juice, papaya juice, guava juice, etc. Even orange juice, though unlike the others, unsweetened orange juice doesn't usually taste sweet, it really is high in natural sugar. That's one of the reasons we diabetics carry juice boxes to treat hypoglycemia if needed. The other reason is that it absorbs into the system more quickly than any other form of sugar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE