How to use a Firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
I wish I'd seen a well produced, informative and easy to follow video like this before I tried my first firesteel - great job fella

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
What a concidence. I just ordered a firesteel this morning! I've read about how to use one but nothing beats actually seeing how it's done. I'll finally get to use the amadou and cramp balls I've had lying about for months. :D

Thanks very much for posting mate.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
great video, thanks for posting! I think the point about pulling the steel back from the striker is important and seems to be often missed out on a lot of videos. It's something one would easily discover with practice, but still well worth pointing out.

One thing I've seen mentioned is the idea of not using the whole length of the steel, just work around the bottom of it and leave the top untouched. Otherwise you tend to get concave wear in the steel which could lead to it snapping. I have noticed a concave pattern to my LMF army steel so I think I'll start using it from the bottom up instead of all the way down. What do you think to this idea?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Thanks one and all, comments are really appreciated & reinforce my belief I'm probably doing something right! I plan, shoot & edit all myself, it's a lot of work but I try to take my time and make it a quality worthwhile vid by the end of it.

One thing I've seen mentioned is the idea of not using the whole length of the steel, just work around the bottom of it and leave the top untouched. Otherwise you tend to get concave wear in the steel which could lead to it snapping. I have noticed a concave pattern to my LMF army steel so I think I'll start using it from the bottom up instead of all the way down. What do you think to this idea?
Yes I think this is a good idea! I used to do this myself for a while and to be honest I don't know why I've slipped back to not doing it.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Thanks one and all, comments are really appreciated & reinforce my belief I'm probably doing something right! I plan, shoot & edit all myself, it's a lot of work but I try to take my time and make it a quality worthwhile vid by the end of it.
They're really nicely produced videos. No umming and erring, just good quality info. Volume and lighting are good. You're doing a great job - more! more! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE