How to turn an android phone into a dedicated gps device

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I really don't understand why he or she messed about with the phone, leave it as is and take a spare battery or two.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Because they wanted to maximise the battery life I expect, and couldnt trust themselves not to browse the web I guess. Stripping out all the bloatware etc and stopping rnackground apps makes a big difference to battery life.

Ive got at least one old android device knocking about somewhere, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Nexuses (nexi?) dont have a replaceable battery iirc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I really don't understand why he or she messed about with the phone, leave it as is and take a spare battery or two.

I'm not sure why the guy who rote the article did it, but I'll be doing something similar when my current android phone gets retired. For me it's just a case of re-cycling a bit of old tech that I no longer need, and I like re-cycling.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I'm not sure why the guy who rote the article did it, but I'll be doing something similar when my current android phone gets retired. For me it's just a case of re-cycling a bit of old tech that I no longer need, and I like re-cycling.

Aye, it's not the worst idea - old android phone, make it dedicated device, maximise power usage and have a dedicated device that you can use without being too concerned if you lose/break it..... Think I'll dig one out and give this a try.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Nexuses (nexi?) dont have a replaceable battery iirc.

They are replaceable if you open up the case, but of course this voids the warranty. Also, the replacement battery comes from ASUS (as the hardware manufacturer) rather than Google (as the wholesaler/retailer)
Doing that out in the field, however... not a good idea! You need a case opening kit just to get in the thing!

Feb 9, 2013
Midlands
Ive got a dual sim Samsung Galaxy Grand. Except the sim slots failed inside 5 months and Samsung revealed it wasnt a uk spec phone so they wouldn't fix it. It is though an excellent pda with offline mapping and quick gps. I also have an Anker battery to help and a tough case....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE