How to tell the age of..................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Dear all.

Just thought I would ask the question.....................does anybody know how to tell the age of a hedge?

Cheers.

Jack.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There is a thing called hoopers rule. Invented in the 1970's (I think?) by..... um.... Mr Hooper.
Take 30m of hedge-row and count the number of different species that make up the hedge. This is its age in centuries.
Don't know how accurate this is.... its all averages and statistics

Ed

oh and I'm pretty sure its in a 30m length.... I have read in books that you count the number os species in 27m of hedge.... and seen on the internet 100m.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Hi Jack
The age of a hedge ? Oliver Rackams book "The illustrated History of the Countryside" Says

Hooper's Rule is

".... the number of tree and shrub species in a 30 yard length of hedge is equal to the age the hedge in centuries."

Dr Rackam goes on to say that the rule works as far back as 1,100 years but not earlier. Also that it does not distinguish Anglo-Saxon from Roman hedges but it does differentiate between Medieval, Tudor, Stuart and Enclosure Act hedges.

I hope that helps you Jack. With your knowledge it probably will. Me on the other hand it would not help because I don't know enough species. I'm working on it but my slow slow brain makes it is a slow slow business.

Jon.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
'Hoopers rule' is more commonly known as 'Hoopers hedgerow hypothesis' (which I think has a great ring to it!) but in using it there are a few things to watch.

First, using it to date hedges very near or in settlements can cause problems as often a disproportionate number of species have found their way into the hedge (i.e. by deliberate introduction in the past or from increased proximity to gardens). This can upset your final 'guestimate'.

Secondly, don't count species which are not 'native' to the area or this country (an obvious example would be leylandii - the fast growing conifers everyone loves to hate!)

Thirdly, in the last 30+ years there has been a trend to plant a combination of native species when establishing new hedgerows - be sure your 600 year old hedge isn't really 16!! A simple check here is to look at height and girth of the hedge species - older hedges are bigger and thicker.

Another indication that you have an old hedge is the ground flora beneath it - old hedges have been habitats for a long time and will have a wide variety of species growing in and beneath them. Many of our oldest hedges were once part of a woodland and so can be especially rich. Species associated with old woodland include wood anemone and bluebell, however there is an element of regional variation (check up with your local wildlife trust - they may even have identified all the old hedgerows in your area already).

Hawthorn or blackthorn hedges with few / no additional species can usually be dated back to the Enclosures Acts fairly reliably. As a final cautionary note, the only truly accurate date for a hedge is the one you have written documentation of!!

Hope this helps

Bob :-D

P.S. The distance of hedgerow measured is 30 metres, approx. 100 feet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE