How to stop fires spreading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Does anyone have any tips for stopping camp fires on peaty woodland spreading please.

A few years ago round this way there was a big fire in the woods and the cause according to the fire brigade was that the fire was not properly put out or the fire spread underground in the peat. (People camping illegally in F.C woodland)

Where I intend on camping the ground is extremely soft,no problems having fires, I just want to do it properly and not burn the woods down!

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you dont like the idea of a fire box then you could Build your fire on top of a fire blanket. It'll mean your fire is on the ground but shouldn't burn the ground. I've not tried it myself but have heard of it being done. The blankets aren't that expensive and can be picked up at most DIY shops

Orric

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The fire blanket tip is a good one; to help make sure you don't singe the ground underneath simply make an earth bed on the blanket then lay your fire on that. All that you will leave is some flattened soil.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Build an Alter Fire!
Crisscross logs to make a base then lay logs on this to make a platform.
Cover the platform in 9" of mud
Make your fire.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I would question the necessity of a fire on ground that has a risk of itself catching fire.

You shouldn't have to move too far to find a gravel bed, rocky surface or sandy loam - best of all would be to find a shingle bank within a dry-ish water source - that way you gain protection from spread for the time you are there and the benefit of having the detritus washed away when the water course becomes flooded!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Fire blanket and a couple of inches of sand on top should prevent any fire scar.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You're always at risk having a fire in peaty soil, can you raise it up somehow by using a firebox of some sort?

I've seen a method where a moat is dug around the fire and then it's regularly dowsed with water, the idea is it stops the fire spreading sideways. Whether I'd trust it in peaty forestry soil I don't know.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just a note to all, reference the fire blanket, i used that idea with the new type of blanket for under my home made flat pack stove, it had burnt through in about 15-20 mins. the old type might be better but are made from asbestos, so be very careful with that bad boy....;)

i would suggest a cheapey bbq on a stand, you can get them for about £10 that would do the job and keep the woods safe, i have seen flat pack ones in places like Tesco...

hope this helps.

chris.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As Lannyman said, fire blankets will burn through. Raised fire or better still as the weather is getting better, use a stove.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
grab a couple of baking trays from poundland, that's what i use under the aerosol camping stove and my kelly, weigh next to nothing and can slide down you pack no bother.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Thanks for all the replies, lots of ideas to think about.

To take a couple of ideas and put them together, maybe I will dig a hole in the peat and line the hole with lots of mud, build it up over time to get a good solid firepit. I will try and channel some air towards the base.
As its been pointed out I shouldn't need a fire this time of year, having a fire when camping might not be a necessity this time of year but the smoke may help keep the midges away and also a fire is nice to tend to keep busy.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Another vote for Ogri's approach. If you are going to have a fire then take great care and make sure even if you have permission that it's safe and legal.

Sometimes it's very difficult even for the fire services to extinguish peat fires, they can smoulder for months and do tremendous damage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE