how to process wild flax for its fibers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
LiniumlewisiiFlax.jpg

i'm wondering how i might go about getting the fibers out of this wild, locally-growing Flax (Linium lewisii). i suspect i can process it in the same manner as stinging nettle. anyone know? thanks!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
storm said:
LiniumlewisiiFlax.jpg

i'm wondering how i might go about getting the fibers out of this wild, locally-growing Flax (Linium lewisii). i suspect i can process it in the same manner as stinging nettle. anyone know? thanks!

Firstly, you really want to get it before it flowers/seeds if you can; the aim is long unbranched lengths if possible.
Pull, don't cut the stems. Stook them to dry out a bit...really just a good wilting, and then either spread them out on dewy grass for a few days or bundle and soak in water. You'll probably have to weight them down. The idea is to rett the binding between the woody core and the fibrous skin. The flax goes mildewed if great care isn't taken to keep it fully submerged or well turned on grass.
Lift out, stack on it's butts and let it dry. The it gets broken (google for flax brake, though I find a wooden baton works quite well) and then combed to remove the 'chaff'. Eventually linen fibres! :)
I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Remember that as with all retting, this will smell awful, so doing it in the bath is a big nono (unless you live by yourself and have no sense of smell!) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE