How to prepare carp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Carp are eaten quite a lot in France and I found this recipe in the late great Keith Floyd's "Floyd on France"
Serves 8
5lb Carp, gutted scaled and cut into chunks
5oz lean bacon, cut small
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 bouquet garni
salt and pepper to taste
1½ pints red wine
3½ oz butter, softened
1 tbsp flour
Put all but last two into a pan and boil for 20 minutes, reduce heat and make a beurre manie with the last two. Add bit by bit to the stew, stir well to thicken sauce. Cook for another 30 minutes then serve with garlic croutons.

I think the amount of garlic is to cover the muddy taste often associated with freshwater fish although not all fish suffer from that, depends on source I think.
I saw a programme with Rick Stein in Shanghai where he was served a type of carp that was just grilled on an open fire with slices of ginger and herbs

Rob

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Pretty simple to prepare. Clean and scale, then coat in a heavy layer of bovine manure. Bake for 1 hour, 30 minutes at 350F. Remove and break open. Throw away the fish and eat the manure. This recipe is also good for snowshoe hare.

are you talking about the wild form or domesticated forms?!
I've eaten both and while I would not describe them as the best fish I've eaten I found them o.k.- they can taste muddy if they live in muddy water, though, so purging them might be necessary... .I either cooked them on the campfire or hotsmoked them:rolleyes:

in some places they have been farmed for centuries and I'd rather eat carp then snails, abalones etc. :yuck: or stuff from mc Donalds.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For best taste, carp needs to be purged for a couple of days in flowing water.
To prepare it is simple, just clean it and cook it like you would with any other fish.
My favourite is breaded and fried. Carp soup is also nice.

Carp is a traditional X-mas food in several Central European countries ( Austria, Czech Rep, Poland)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE