How To Organise A Bushcraft Camp For Scouts (or anyone else probably)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This brings up a question (and another follow on question)

1st; Which level of Scouting? Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts?
2nd; IF they are at the Boy Scout level, shouldn't they be doing the organizing rather than the adults? At least over here that's much the point; to wean them into more of a teamwork and leadership function by this level.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would think they do help organise Santaman but first of all the grown ups have to wade through all the risk assessments and health and safety protocols which I suspect are more stringent in the UK than they are in the US.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
This brings up a question (and another follow on question)

1st; Which level of Scouting? Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts?
2nd; IF they are at the Boy Scout level, shouldn't they be doing the organizing rather than the adults? At least over here that's much the point; to wean them into more of a teamwork and leadership function by this level.

In the UK Scouts (both boys and girls) are age 10 1/2 to 14. So they don't always have the experience needed to research and plan something from scratch, especially if they've never tried the activity before, without a fair bit of adult guidance.

The next section up, Explorers (14 - 18) do much more of the planning from scratch, although they will still need adult oversight.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
A taste of field archery would seem of interest to those attending.

And there lies an out cited mis interpretation ... field archery in UK Scouting is fine, as long as it it FITA style (using Black and Yellow roundel target faces) and of course risk assessed and run to GNAS CSLA(Archery Specific) standards

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the UK Scouts (both boys and girls) are age 10 1/2 to 14. So they don't always have the experience needed to research and plan something from scratch, especially if they've never tried the activity before, without a fair bit of adult guidance.

The next section up, Explorers (14 - 18) do much more of the planning from scratch, although they will still need adult oversight.

Those are the same age groupings as here. I still don't get it? Rik's answer may explain some of it I suppose. Or if you mean making arrangements with other agencies that tequire an adult signature.

I think there might be a difference between Explorers here vs there as well. That age group is now divided into "explorers" and "venturers." Venturers (if I understand it correctly) are simply older, more able Scouts still doing general outdoor stuff whereas "explorers" are usually paired with a particular vocation or avocation into specialties; such as an "Aviation Explorer Post" or a "Police Explorer Post" or a "firefighting Explorer Post," etc.

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The biggest problem is actually the lack of Leaders and more so the lack Leaders with these skills.

Or even occasional helpers or skills instructors.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The biggest problem is actually the lack of Leaders and more so the lack Leaders with these skills.

Or even occasional helpers or skills instructors.

We have the same problem in my area, but have struck up a working relationship with the top guys from Tamarack who run a training scheme for Leaders.

We are in the consolidation phase of the first course, with the test weekend in April '13. Hopefully this will go a long way to putting some of the lost skills back into Scouting.

Simon

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We have the same problem in my area, but have struck up a working relationship with the top guys from Tamarack who run a training scheme for Leaders.

We are in the consolidation phase of the first course, with the test weekend in April '13. Hopefully this will go a long way to putting some of the lost skills back into Scouting.

Simon
Simon
I need to speak to my DC about this she organised our district trip to do a bushcraft day which not many took up and it was cancelled.

I think some of the local leaders need it more than my scouts.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Simon
I need to speak to my DC about this she organised our district trip to do a bushcraft day which not many took up and it was cancelled.

I think some of the local leaders need it more than my scouts.
Alf, I think the biggest problem with Leaders is pride. Many won't admit that that need training as they have been doing "it" for years.

We have had a steady drip, drip input over a few years from Tamarack, which has now been formalised into a syllabus and progressive training.

We are working at a County level with them, not District, as i don't think a single District could supply enough Leaders to make it worthwhile.

Simon

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
And there lies an out cited mis interpretation ... field archery in UK Scouting is fine, as long as it it FITA style (using Black and Yellow roundel target faces) and of course risk assessed and run to GNAS CSLA(Archery Specific) standards
Any idea why animal face targets are banned, which was the question?

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
scouting rules are a bit daft some times. as boatman said you can set snares and make traps ect and not practice archery. as long as the kids know you cant shoot and kill by archery in the uk whats the fuss. i have done field archery using modelling balloons with cubs,scouts and exps and didnt have any "moral" issues with any of them.

a few of my fellow leaders and i have started doing bushcraft weekends for scouts within out county and it seams to be going well. its better for the groups as they dont have to pay huge prices from corporate companies to teach cubs. any proffit which is minimal is used to buy equipment to make our sessions better. may be worth a try for others too.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've just been to collect the key for a private 15 acre wood that we're using for a bushcraft camp next week.

I have permission to shoot or snare rabbits (and shown the best ambush spots), light ground fires, take out dead standing wood and set up tarp shelters.

All the owner asks is we don't over use the wood, keep the location "secret" and make him a brew if he turns up!

I shall be setting up tomorrow, then groups of 15 Scouts will have a two day, overnight, experience, which I will repeat 3 times with new groups of Scouts as part of their Summer Camp.

Great for me, as I get to do what I enjoy and only have to go into the main camp for a shower...meaning no County politics for me! Result!

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE