How to make a chair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
dommyracer said:
I was thinking that it would be quite cool to have a rectangle of material (para nylon perhaps) with either eyelets or loops on each corner.

You could then cut a suitable branch into four lengths, lash them together in pairs in two X shapes, and put the end of the branch up through the eyelet / loop on each corner.

You would need to sharpen off the ends of the sticks so that the holes / loops wedged down on the sticks.

Not sure if I explained it very well....?

I was thinking the same thing. I will have to see what i have laying around at work. As already mentioned thou, I dont want the seat to break and a stake up my :censored: hehe

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Sorry for digging up an old post and/or if the links have been posted before, but this video on youtube showing a pritty cool and reasonably straight forward chair to make out of a sack or sac that verloc sent me at work today.

Pritty cool, looks like a project for our next outing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6yqDFGRqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHBJeUQOkP4 about 4:10 shows chair in this clip.

a picture speaks a thousand words so they say, dunno how many words a video speaks... :p

think this was what spamel meant in his replies I like the idea of leaning the A-frame against a tree as opposed to all of fat me on a tripod ...

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Spamel's "hessian sack" idea has been around for a while and works the charm. I too have been thinking about using my bergen in the same fashion, but have not yet had the need.

The youtube posts by WEZ024522164 (I think) show the sack idea - might be what stooboy posted above.

Personally, I just bring along a peice of closed cell foam (cut into two, 14"x'16"squares) taped together to form a 32" long mat. They fold up nice in the pack, unfold to be large enough to stretch out on against any rump of soil, or a tree, or a snowbank (my primary reason for carrying this around is cold weather use)

D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not my idea, Les Hiddens' showed the process in his BTM series.

Alternatively, carry an axe and an auger and knock up a stool/bench like I did a few months back. It doesn't take long.

Have a look at the instructions on how to make this plank chair - 2 planks and that's it...

chair.jpg

Cheers,

Mungo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like those watchmens' chairs, and with a bit of tinkering I reckon you could make a full pair that would fit together and form a storage box. The lid and base would become the table top and four corner posts of the box the table legs. If i had the skills I'd probably give it a go!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I just stick my folded towel into a carrier bag
The towel keeps your end warm and the bag keeps your towel dry/clean

And yes, I do know where my towel is :yelrotflm

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
If you search for Willow Backrest on the internet you will find a type of backrest used by the Plains Indians in the US. It is more comfortable with a log to put the base on. It's not going to be that quick to make but they are light weight and can be made in the field easily in an evening by the campfire. You could also make one of these from fabric and use it also as a pillow and towel.

David Enoch

dangerpie

Dec 5, 2008
Thame, Oxfordshire
Sorry for digging up an old post and/or if the links have been posted before, but this video on youtube showing a pritty cool and reasonably straight forward chair to make out of a sack or sac that verloc sent me at work today.

Pritty cool, looks like a project for our next outing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6yqDFGRqI

I love that A frame chair. So simple but looks very comfy. I can't wait to try and make that :)

a picture speaks a thousand words so they say, dunno how many words a video speaks... :p

I've heard that the human eye can see 30 frames a second. So I propose a video speaks 30,000 words (a second) :D

Pete :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I thought of an simple idea that would need no lashing/nailing/joints etc.
Get a lenght of log or a pole about say 4 inches diameter and maybe 3 foot long.
Split it in half lengthwys
sharpen either end to a fence post type point, clean off the flat face with your axe or knife
With an axe cut in notches into the round side, about 10 or 12 inches in from either end, so that only maybe 1/4 or a 1/2 inch of wood remains.
Then bend the wood to a right angle type thing at these notches. The wood will hopefully be wet and it should bend easily. Maybe tie a length of cord between the 2 legs to stop them springing back?
Then sit on the thing, it will prong into the ground.
I reckon it would take 5 or 10 minutes to do, with nothing to carry there except your axe.
Or make 2 a bit wider with some more poles on top and natural soft material to make a simple bed.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
actually those Gelert camping stools are only 460g, and they look nice and sturdy.
foldable and easy to carry, just lash it to your pack with velcro ties or something.
£4.00 too.
pete

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
http://www.slinglight.com/

Have you guys seen a Sling Light chair? It's a backpacking chair that weighs 18 oz with an optional 4 oz. headrest. They are comfortable but it takes a while to learn how to get into and out of them. They are very expensive, about $90 USD for the chair and headrest.

Of course, a piece of sil-nylon for an A frame chair wouldn't cost much or weigh much and might be more comfortable. A sil-nylon bag could be used as a chair, pillow bag and a gathering bag.

David Enoch

There's some fantastic idea's out there and designs. Last week I knocked this up out of some cut offs from an IPK sheet and an old cam lock canoe strap.

P1000727.jpg

I wasn't sure if the plastic was going to be tough enough but I reckon it should be if it was designed to get half a ton of earth heaped on top:rolleyes: . I had the thermarest and rarelly use it except when car camping but it sems to work ok and i'm a big guy!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
you know thats really quite ingenious, i'm liking that alot!

i know what people are saying about the stool's weight but i like to have that hight off the ground to give my knees a rest. plus its damn quick to setup! hehe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE