How to get rid of rust on the inside of a canteen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi guys,
I need some advice here.
I have an old WW2 British canteen, that I want to bring back to life again, but this inside is corroded.
How can I deal with this problem, so I can use it again without risk?

Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice!

cheers
Ron

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Vinegar..

Fill it up, leave it for a few days, tip it out and you'll find any rust will have been eaten away by the vinegar. Rinse it out and off you go :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It does work well with vinegar. If there is some heavy rust put some stones in, put lid on and shake to help knock off the rust.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The vinegarsolution worked great!

The next problem I encounter is how to keep the rust from coming back, while still be able to use the canteen for drinking water.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Anyone have any suggestions?
I thought of using beeswax, but I think this might come off when the canteen is used, carryied, bashed and banged about...

Pouring some paint in and swirl that around has crossed my mind, too..... but than there's the prospect of toxicity...

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
Not having had to solve the problem myself, wouldn't drying the inside stop the problem? Something like SILICA Gel packets popped in after the canteen has been air dried maybe?

Was the canteen originally coated internally?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE