How to fool the Archaeologists

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Find some Ochre

01_zpsdf5u2kle.jpg~original

Find a Cave

02_zpsinx9r8d7.jpg~original

Let the Bear have a glass of Wine

03_zpsczmewmez.jpg~original

04_zpsvmoqf01h.jpg~original

05_zpso9dzijdi.jpg~original

06_zpsitzditgy.jpg~original

Have a Laugh :naughty:

07_zpssjtlvjch.jpg~original

:sad6: I.G.M.C.
getmecoat_zpseg5n6tro.gif~original

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Context, always context and stratigraphy.
Then stylistic elements and whether (in this case) there is 'movement' in the beasts with flickering light.

Context….that cave's too new.
Stratigraphy of the cave base would show nothing that would give any relevance to the paintings.
Stylisitically it's local yokel playing with some local ochre :D :D
http://nautil.us/issue/11/light/early-humans-made-animated-art

Dan ? you're a big kid :)

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks Toddy. The staging with small lights is one of the more interesting articles that I have read in a long time. Makes sense.
Certainly a resaonable interpretation of artistic techniques.

There are 4 different and tightly disciplined styles of native art and carvings here in the Pacific Northwest.
At first glance, it certainly doesn't look that way.
Any mix, any additional/different design elements or even colors reveal either a sloppy attempt at mimicry
or a rebellious departure from tradition.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Context, always context and stratigraphy.
Then stylistic elements and whether (in this case) there is 'movement' in the beasts with flickering light.

Context….that cave's too new.
Stratigraphy of the cave base would show nothing that would give any relevance to the paintings.
Stylisitically it's local yokel playing with some local ochre :D :D
http://nautil.us/issue/11/light/early-humans-made-animated-art

Dan ? you're a big kid :)

M

Great link not come across that before goodjob

No Caves were harmed in the making of this post, it's all done with Windows Paint

Toddy%20Paint_zpsgu17sfi0.jpg~original

the clue is in the Thread title

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
No Caves were harmed in the making of this post, it's all done with Windows Paint

the clue is in the Thread title

I've just gone back to look at those photos and realised the paint pot on the fifth image down is computer generated :). Also looking back now the last painting does seem flat / not following the cave wall [all the others look physically there:)]

Although having a closer look at the last image it looks like someone has had a wee up against the cave wall!

Awesome :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I doubt almost any photograph I see on the net these days :sigh: Some are very clever though :)

I'm interested in your local ochre though Dan. Do you think it would make a good lake ? as in paint base lake, iimmc ?

Did it stain fabric too ? I haven't done much with mineral dyes, but it's an interest.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE