How to close a fly tipping hot spot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could offer me some advise.

There is a pull in near me that used to be used for storing road laying gravel, this was maybe 13 years or so ago now.

Since then it's become a site for fly tipping, burning of stolen cars, illegal dumping of hazardous materials, lunch wrappers and generally become a toilet.

How can I find out who own's the land? I guess it's the farmer or council...

I know the council will send out the heavy squad when we report stuff like tyres etc to clear up the area, but I'd really like to try and get it blocked off for public use, which I feel would probably stop alot of the dumping. This area is located along a quiet country road, and there are a few other smaller laybys near by for drivers to rest in.

I've noticed a lot of pull in's have been blocked off over the years, and I guess the same reasons apply.

Got any advise on how, and who I should apply to, to try and have this area block off?

I'm happy to raise a petition or do whatever else may be required to eliminate this litter hot spot.

Advise is appreciated,
Paul.

Last edited:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could offer me some advise.

There is a pull in near me that used to be used for storing road laying gravel, this was maybe 13 years or so ago now.

Since then it's become a site for fly tipping, burning of stolen cars, illegal dumping of hazardous materials, lunch wrappers and generally become a toilet.

How can I find out who own's the land? I guess it's the farmer or council...

http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/index.jsp?LGSL=587&LGIL=0

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you prevent it there, it'll only create another one somewhere else until people start getting properly prosecuted.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just fell a tree over the entrance slip road. Works a treat. Let's face it, who's going to complain other than the fly-tippers and car-burners?

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Find some rusty old barbed wire, staples and a hammer? I bet most people would be reluctant and ill-equipped to start cutting a few strands of the old tetanus injector. Perhaps even add a few 'warning -- shooting in progress 24 hours' signs.

Probably not totally legal but I doubt anyone important (that is, beyond fly-tippers) would have issue with it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Would some bogus CCTV/This site is monitored signs deter them ?

It's the same near an old quarry I visit regularly, scum of the earth the lot of them.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
create a ghillie suit out of the trash thats been dumped on the site and secret yourself within the mess. when someone pulls up to dump something jump out yelling incoherantly at them!

alternatively speak to your council ;)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hmm, some interesting ideas, I had thought about a few of them.

The problem with blocking access is it's open to the road the whole 50 odd meter length, so the only way to block it would be a pile of earth along the side of the road the entire length of the pull in....

The council did put up signs once, they ended up smashed and scattered about!
Too remote for CCTV really.

I agree it may just move the problem on, but it would be one less place for rubbish to gather. I'm sure if I spent a few days in a covert op I could get a few perps on camera, but it wouldn't stop it altogether.

I'll be writing to the council shortly, explaining the pollution of the battery in the water course, the oil drums and aspestos etc. I'll soon paint the dirty picture it is for them.... Maybe even send some pics of number 2's...

If anyone has had joy closing a place like this I'd love to hear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE