How to attach an axe to a respirator pack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
For those interested, here are a couple of ways I like to carry my wildlife hatchet on my British army respirator pack.

1. Make a double loop of thin elastic cord and thread it through the small eyelet below the belt loop on the back of the pack. Use a knot big enough so that it can't slip through.
th_P1130039.jpg

2.Push axe sheath strap through small loop, pull tight and fasten.
th_P1130041.jpg

OR

Swing head round and attach to shoulder strap.
th_P1130046.jpg

Hope you find this useful, all comments or better ideas welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Karl.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks like an excellent way of potentially removing a pound of flesh from your hip :D Is the axe attached to the side nearest your body or the outer?

Last edited:

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
Looks like an excellent way of potentially removing a pound of flesh from your hip :D Is the axe attached to the side nearest your body or the outer?
It's attached nearest your body, I know it looks dodgy but when wearing it, the shoulder strap pulls the head tight against the pack and would only be likely to cause injury if the sheath fell off, which I feel, is unlikely. Obviously this method won't suit everyone, its purely down to personal preference. Thanks for the comment.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It may be better if you turned the axe around and had the head on the right with the mask snap away from your body and less prone to snag and come off with movement.

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
It may be better if you turned the axe around and had the head on the right with the mask snap away from your body and less prone to snag and come off with movement.
I like your thinkin! It also keeps edge further away if worn on right shoulder. Thanks mate.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
How about just sewing on a loop so you can attach it safer? Like the way you attach an ice axe. It even looks like you don't need to sow it on, but can just pull a loop through the bottom attachment.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Where in the UK do you practice Bushcraft that is so problematic you need a respirator to operate safely?? Or is Cumbria the clue??

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE