How tight to pull a hammock with a structural ridgeline?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Hi There,
As above really, I seem to find way too much info out there when I search. All I want to know is, after fitting a structural ridgeline to my hammock how tight should I pull the suspension when setting it up?
By that I mean, should I pull it as tight as a washing line or with the 30 degree slack built in? This is probably one of those questions which experienced hammockers will find daft but I'm a simple guy and like simple answers!
Colin

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
You must keep the 30 deg from horizontal angle for the suspension lines. At 30 deg, if you weigh 100 kilos, the strain on EACH suspension line is 100 likos. At 20 degrees it is almost 150 kilos on each line. at 15 degrees, it is almost 200 kilos on each. At 5 deg it is 600 kilos. Look at www.theultimatehang.com for lots of simply explained hammock problems.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Thank you guys that's just what I needed. I wasn't sure if the ridgeline was supposed to ensure the hammock has the right amount of slack

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have been wanting to try a structural ridgeline but worry it might be in the way - it looks like you'd rub against it whenever you get in/out of the hammock. Is this right?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I have been wanting to try a structural ridgeline but worry it might be in the way - it looks like you'd rub against it whenever you get in/out of the hammock. Is this right?

Depends on how long your whoopies are . The structural ridgeline helps you get in and out sometimes.

If your whoopies are short , you may rub against it and it hinders sitting up.

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Depends on how long your whoopies are . The structural ridgeline helps you get in and out sometimes.

If your whoopies are short , you may rub against it and it hinders sitting up.

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

Not sure I'm with you there - why would the length of whoopies make any difference? It's the length of the SRL that will dictate the sag in the hammock and therefore the "headroom". The whoopie length can vary without changing the sag on the hammock. That's the idea behind having a fixed SRL on a hammock.

ShooTa

Oct 9, 2014
N Wales
when tightening it leave the ridgline tight but more like a half tightened guyline - so when you get into the hammock it becomes fully tight - a tight guyline - aka strummable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE