How many people hold a CRB?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you hold a CRB certificate?

• Total voters

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I have a current CRB (to be updated next week) as an adult education tuor I work with children and vulnerable adults...........

I would like to point a few things out that have come up in previous posts and if they have already been mentioned further on my appologies........

It would seem that some of the bodies some of you work for are a little ignorant of the facts or chose to disregard them.....

My CRB is as mention for education and is enhanced, in this case it is permissable for my information to be passed to a second education establishment and this is the only scenario when this may be done as far as I'm aware, so the poster that had two checks in the education service didn't need two!

CRB checks are not transferable, but another body may if they wish to, accept the first and save doing a second, ergo the poster with one for the scouts and one elsewhere didn't actually need a second one althought its obviuos some bodies choose to have them done anyway, especiall voluntary bodies as they get them carried out for free.

A police check is in over and above a CRB and therefore having the former current negates having the later although some bodies will still chose do have them done to ensure they don't have to do it later should the Police Check "run out " and not be renewed.

My CRB is accepted not only for my work in schools colleges etc for my employment but also for 3 local haelth authorities and a voluntary body I also work for.......

As for individuals, yes you can get a CRB check. CRB checks are done through a registration body.....an employer (if they have sufficient staff may be registered as such...NHS/Local Authority/etc..) or smaller companies/voluntary bodies and individuals can apply via a company which is set up do carry out checks.

And as stated they are in fact out of date by the time they are in your hand!

I hope the above is helpfull to someone and not confusing to anyone :)

Smoggy.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I had to have a check and get a CRB as I work in a training environment and some students are under 18 years old.
I used to teach but didn't enjoy it, so am now working in a support role (but still have regular contact with students).
When I arrived at the school I gave the CRB to my line manager and he didn't know what it was or what it was for....go figure...he's basically like a headmaster!
It got filed with my personal file with the admin staff.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
what's a CRB?

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB)
Go here for more info.

Excerpt from above site.
Why would you need a CRB check?
If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults, you may be asked to apply for a CRB check. For example, if you are to work as a teacher, care worker, scout & guide leader, registered childminder, sports coach, youth club worker, foster carer or adoptive parent.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I don't think I've been checked, but my wife has. Thank goodness one of us is, because we have two children of our own and I guess if she leaves me home alone with our kids I'm probably breaking some law. Shh - don't tell! ;)

Then again, from what I've seen on TV, I'm tempted to say that for the good of the children, some people should not be allowed to parent even their own offspring! :O

I think the idea is a good one, but it's very difficult to put into practice and it's not a certainty. But with all the complexity and limitations, I'm sure at least one child somewhere has been spared an ordeal through this system, and that makes it worthwhile in my opinion. My only concern is how many children are missing out on hugs and a comforting arm around the shoulders or other natural and innocent loving attention when they need it because we're all too afraid of being accused of and labelled paedophiles.

It's all a sad but inevitable result of developing our environments into communities where we don't know the people we leave our children with let alone our own neighbours.

Last edited:

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
one for scouts cheshire, one for scouts cambridgeshire and one for scouts greater manchester east naturally all enhanced,

Finally the scout association have sorted out their records system and if i move county again i wont need to fill out another one as they will still have my current one on file, and by the time i need a referesher the CRB will be replaced by the ISA/VBS

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
I've got an Enhanced due to the nature of my business....They dont prove anything good, only that you've never been caught :rolleyes:

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I had to have one to be secretary for my son's Lads n Dads team,
the manager is in the police force and held two CRB's already but had to have a third for the football team that his son plays in also.
Good things but surely thats OTT

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
enhanced crb, pova and soca checks and just had my clearance back from police check to let me work in the cells

of course, crb only shows what you have been convicted/cautioned for. pova etc, looks a little deeper and includes stuff that wouldve picked up on the likes of ian huntley

my crb was countersigned by my wife and i countersign hers..... we are both professionals eligible to sign them and according to the crb, it makes no difference that we are married to each other?!?!? go figure

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I had to have one to be secretary for my son's Lads n Dads team,
the manager is in the police force and held two CRB's already but had to have a third for the football team that his son plays in also.
Good things but surely thats OTT

this is one of the advantages of the new ISA/VBS
not that the new system is free of equally strong disadvantages, not least that the decision in future will rest on a few select people rather then the organisation requesting the checks, all they will get is a pass/fail rather than the info that they get at the moment. which could have major conciquences,

i am aware of at least one person working with children whose crb is not 100% clean, but due to the offense shown they pose no risk at all (they just cant be group treasurer or be a signatory on a group cheque book)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i really need to get one so i put waithing for one,
i have no reason to believe they will refuse me, needed for dinghy instruction...
teach oppy beginners at my sailing club as main instructor but wont need one yet cos the commitee can vouch for people that they know...till i turn 18 i think(now i think about it in that sense its bloody close,, think about in relation to pubs its still ages away...):lol: :lol:

leon-1

I have to hold a CRB, but I am CRB'd as an individual, not as an employee or part of a business. It makes life easier as I don't require to get a CRB for each and every job that I do when I am sub-contracted to work for people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE