How long will bacon last?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don't know if you have such a thing, no doubt under a different name, but it keeps a very long time without refrigeration. Hence the name "summer sausage," it would keep in the hot summer months when there was no refrigeration.

The only thing i can think of along those line is salami/chorizo type sausage, keeps for months in the cupboard. Every year in town near us we have a continental market, people from all over europe come to sell there wares. There is always a stall with French people who sell this type of thing. There are all sorts of different types and they are really nice.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Every year in town near us we have a continental market, people from all over europe come to sell there wares. There is always a stall with French people who sell this type of thing. There are all sorts of different types and they are really nice.
HillBill what's the town called and when is it, I wouldn't mind having a look at this if it's on when I'm down at some friends in Brighouse.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
HillBill: Yes, summer sausage is very much like a salami.

I used to get a salami in Germany called Sommerwurst, which literally translates as summer sausage! It came in a cloth bag, smoky flavour and smell, very good for cooking in a dry pan due to the fats released and was a main staple of mine back in Germany. I had a friend of my wife's' who was sending it over for me, but things have gotten in the way and we've sort of lost touch recently. Shame, 'cos sommerwurst is the biz!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Went in to a discount store the other day(home bargains, i think) and they had bacon in a can, interesting, also quick cook rice, 2 for a pound, and the best offer i've seen in years, vesta chowmein & beef curry !. Thought they'd stopped making them years ago, mind i haven't checked the sell by date yet, so....

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I use a really basic dry cure which will certainly last a week (and more) especially if you cold smoke it too. You will need fresh water to soak rashers in before cooking though or it will be too salty.

The photo heavy 'step by step' process can be found here if you are interested.

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
Hey Sparkplug, just read through your excellent thread on curing your own bacon.
I will be having a go at that this week ready for a weekend trip to the lakes, great stuff thanks !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE