How I fit a factory bolster lauri shown

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here goes on how I fit factory bolsters the blades show here are Lauri 95 blades which cause people problems based on the comments I have read.

First tip is do not modify the bolster before the tang.

This first shot shows
Top blade is an unmodified blade, note where the grind along the tang stops it has a step at the end which will not let the bolster past this point. Bolsters with rectangular holes will not have this issue.

Middle blade has had the grind on the tang extended to allow the bolster to fit. This step will only be needed on Lauri or similar blades

Bottom blade has been ground/sanded to remove the squared off edges of the blade from when it was stamped out and about 0.2 mm off each side to ease fitting the bloster. This is done to within a few mm of the bolsters final expected position.

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

After this stage the bolster will move to this position.

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Next I tap the bolster into place I use a deep 29 mm socket but a piece of pipe or piece of wood with a hole drilled through and a mallet will do the job. After a couple of taps the bolster is nearly in postion.

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

This is how it looks from the front

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 6 by alf.branch, on Flickr

At this point I still had a small gap so I use a couple of needle files the adjust the hole in the bolster but not wider. For none Lauri bolsters just a square needle file will do but on this one I needed an oval file too. On the bolster the balde will have made marks which can be used as a guide to where to file. Slightly lengthen the face of the slot by filing at an angle which I hope can be seen.

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 8 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 9 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Repeat this until you get the fit you need. For an even better fit filing the shoulders of the blade where they meet the bolster square.

Some on the go

Lauri 95 blades being prepared 1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

They may not be perfect but they only took about 2 hours.

[
Lauri 95 blades being prepared 10 by alf.branch, on Flickr

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have picked up from some comments on this people find it difficult to get the correct bolster for the blade.

For those who buy from Brisa look HERE

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Thats what i did to my one lol, took the black of so had a good key when gluing, found the bolster was a bit tight so ground the bottom another inch and then found the bolster did not go right to the end my a few mm, so used my dremel to square the top end of the tang. Ended up nice and tight with no movment. thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE