How do....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
People who use a sleeping bag liner get into them when using a hammock?

just started to use a liner again and it quite tests me in getting into the liner then into the sleeping bag......

any my suggestions would be most helpful.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Depends on the bag, centre zip bag I just have the bag open and the liner scrunched up towards the bottom of the bag, climb in the hammock into the liner pull it up with the bag under me and zip up a side zip bag I get into the liner sat in the hammock and swing into the bag, hope that makes sense :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You'll be needing one of those DD Jura front zip jobs Dave. :lmao:

I tried using a liner, I think I sold one to you a few years ago, and I got in such a tangle with it I'd rather use a warmer bag or a blanket over me (not that they stay put). I'm not sure there's an answer to your problem.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
You'll be needing one of those DD Jura front zip jobs Dave. :lmao:

I tried using a liner, I think I sold one to you a few years ago, and I got in such a tangle with it I'd rather use a warmer bag or a blanket over me (not that they stay put). I'm not sure there's an answer to your problem.

Evening Rich, yes you are correct you let me have a green silk liner which is the liner I have started to use again. The bag I'm using is an ex military front zipper which came from endicotts, but getting into the liner and the bag after a couple of malt whiskies is a challenge. I might need to go back to using a blanket.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Depends on the bag, centre zip bag I just have the bag open and the liner scrunched up towards the bottom of the bag, climb in the hammock into the liner pull it up with the bag under me and zip up a side zip bag I get into the liner sat in the hammock and swing into the bag, hope that makes sense :)

Thanks for that I shall certainly give it a try.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The new British army medium weight bags DO have the colour coded tie ins for the liner as well as the central zip, and they're considerately cheaper than the Carinthia ones.
I've used mine in -7C° last winter with just a bivvy and it kept me nice and warm.
Great bit of kit.

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I use a Carinthia defence 4 with its proper tie in liner it stays put for me, I think the new brit army equivalent does the same.

Not to mention that one has a front zip on the liner (at least my Dutch Carinthia Def 4 one does). Without a zip I honestly don't know how you'd do it! Hard enough with a zip. But I do do it all when in the hammock rather than sitting in it or outside the hammock entirely.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Didnt know you could get a bag with a tie in liner, I'll certainly have a look at those...thank you.

No problem, both sleep systems are pricey new, but you can pick good used ones up off ebay. Surplus and outdoors have the brit army equivalent used in stock.

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/camping-equipment/sleeping-bags/modular-sleeping-bag-latest-british-1170303.html

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/camping-equipment/sleeping-bags/sleeping-bag-liner-olive-modular-1161133.html

Last edited:

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
How do you use a liner even when not in a hammock?
I like the idea of sleeping bag liners - bit of extra warmth and more importantly keeping the bag clean - and I've got several from fleece to silk but I always end up in knots and invariably ditch the liner before morning :lmao:. Maybe I'm just a wriggle ****.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Evening Rich, yes you are correct you let me have a green silk liner which is the liner I have started to use again. The bag I'm using is an ex military front zipper which came from endicotts, but getting into the liner and the bag after a couple of malt whiskies is a challenge. I might need to go back to using a blanket.

As mentioned, the only thing I could think of at the time was some sort of tie in or Velcro fixing for the corners. I'm a bit like Herbalist1, I just got it all twisted round me. Blow that when you're in your hammock and need to get out for a wee and get back in again. I'd sooner sleep with my clothes on, but I know you like to go commando of an evening. :lmao:

Hoping to get out this week in the new EasyHammock and the Jura bag. I'm seriously hoping that I've simplified hammocking to the point where it's just hammock, bag, tarp = good sleep without sliding mat problems, or worse, underquilt snapping its shockcord in the middle of the night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE