How do i save a draft posting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I want to start a thread. It will have step by step pictures but if I can' t finish it in one go - how do I save what I have done such that I can re-open it and carry on with it

?do I just have to draft it in 'word', post to the new thread and then add the pictures?

Even if I do this there is a risk I won't be able to post all the pictures in one go and so still need to know how to 'save' the incomplete posting

I tried starting a test post but couldn't see that it had 'saved' anywhere when I left it, and I couldn't find an answer in FAQs etc

No doubt there is a simple answer - i just can't work out what it is.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can write the text out in something like Word, save it there then copy and paste it across when you're ready then insert pics and links.

That's what I do at times :)

The other alternative is to write it on the forum, insert your links, pics etc then save it in Word as all the links will save as well.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ahhh - I had previously done it all in word - including pictures - but the pictures didn't then show when I copied the whole thing from word into the forum.

i will give the alternative a go - thanks Steve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If it's an epic like a trip report or something I'll do it in Word as I'm going along. I include all the http links and IMG codes for the pics too though, once it's complete it's just a case of highlighting everything and then copying and pasting into the thread

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
If I'm writing a long post with pictures I write it as a PM first (so I can use the preview function ;)) and send it to myself periodically, or if i'm going to leave it and come back to it.

Then when I'm happy with it I'll copy the contents and paste it into a new post / thread :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

I'm still doing something wrong!!!!!

I prepared a great swathe and copied it to word, including all the pictures but when I came to copy it back into the forum all the 'formulae' for the pictures had changed to something like this:

clip_image001.jpg

Which is nothing like the reference I actually typed out.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors

That's referencing the temp folder Word is using as it autosaves.

How long is it talking you to complete the post? Are we talking over days or hours? If it's just hours, just open a new browser window if you need to look at something else / don't close the laptop / don't turn off the computer.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I first read that as 'How do you save a DAFT posting'. I was going to send you to Drew as he seems to do it easily and consistently.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I first read that as 'How do you save a DAFT posting'.

yes - probably that too

That's referencing the temp folder Word is using as it autosaves.

How long is it talking you to complete the post? Are we talking over days or hours? If it's just hours, just open a new browser window if you need to look at something else / don't close the laptop / don't turn off the computer.

About 1 hour +; re not closing the laptop I like to sleep on things sometimes and not just bash them out and then put them on the forum, especially if it is something fairly long which is setting out something that I have tried which hasn't work ie usual for me. So I would like some way of developing something over a day or so. Having to re-insert the pictures each time is a real kick in the head and such a waste of time

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I prepared a great swathe and copied it to word, including all the pictures but when I came to copy it back into the forum all the 'formulae' for the pictures had changed to something like this:

clip_image001.jpg

Which is nothing like the reference I actually typed out.

Use notepad or a similar plain text editor rather than word, it won't try and do something clever and unexpected, all your URL and IMG links will be as you typed them.

:)

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Chris, you can get a browser 'add-on' which lets you use your favourite text editor instead of the crude approximation to a text editor that your browser provides. You may never have used a text editor, but it's worth getting to know how to use one rather than using a word processor to do something that (as you've found out) it wasn't really designed to do.

The editor I use is called 'Emacs' and it's probably not what I'd recommend for you but I happen to know that it works with my browser. It's what I'm using to type this. There are alternatives which are a bit easier to pick up and use straight away without learning a bunch of special keystrokes to do things like move the cursor and save your work.

The main reason I use it with the forum is so that I can save a file on the computer in case something goes wrong with the forum software and my message gets lost (actually Emacs does that automatically all by itself) and so I can go back to it later if I get called away -- which happens all the time.

Text editors are a lot simpler than word processors. Things like fonts are unknown to a text editor.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok thanks - never used a plain text editor and couldn' t find Notepad on my laptop so have downloaded a free one (Editpad pro 7 ) and will give it a go when I carry on writing my thingy on hand drills (part of which I have already put into the thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76145&p=924841#post924841 )

It was trying to copy what I had already done into that thread that generated the Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgghhh

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...never used a plain text editor and couldn' t find Notepad on my laptop so have downloaded a free one (Editpad pro 7 )..."

Thats a good looking thread! :)

If you are using Windows then Notepad can be found under Accessories, are you sure Editpad Pro isn't free for a time, and then it'll stop working until you pay up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE