How do I reattach steel bracket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
IMG_20190205_162631933.jpgThis is the lid of my favourite billy can by far - the Tatonka 1.6 kettle. One side of the bracket that the lid handle clips into has separated. Can anyone suggest a way it could be fixed? I should add that I know nothing about metalwork.

Or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks a lot.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" You can by metal weld in a tube, not used ....."

As Bopdude refers to this........ This repair with Metal Weld is about 5 years old and it get's used very often. Spout snapped completely off Aluminium kettle...If you decide to use Metal Weld, be sure to mix it properly and let it harden for 24 hours before use.
Personally, in your case I would Pop rivet as suggested above and then fill/fair the repair with the Metal Weld.

Still going strong...:D

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
View attachment 52292This is the lid of my favourite billy can by far - the Tatonka 1.6 kettle. One side of the bracket that the lid handle clips into has separated. Can anyone suggest a way it could be fixed? I should add that I know nothing about metalwork.

Or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks a lot.

Dave, as i mentioned at the recent meet, it could be drilled and riveted with stainless rivets, could be done with a cordless drill quite simply.
If your going to bin it i have some thin stainless welding rods i would be happy to give it a go either drilling and rivetting or welding it, with the caveat that if it ends up as junk then thats the risk you take.
I personally reckon drill and stainless rivets. Even aluminium ones would probably be okay, i doubt they would melt tbh.

I can bring the bits to do it at the next meet we both happen to be at if that helps

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
My polly kettle (standard stainless gas ring kettle, with a folding handle, got taken camping by the dauhter. Managed to break off the handle mount (very poorly spot welded on).
Luckilly I'd brought a TIG welder to play with, and that was my first job.
Fixed a treat. Though it was a 'training' job, so not pretty.

If you can find someone with a TIG set, that would be a 2min job. Else, I agree with the pop rivet suggestions.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Dave, as i mentioned at the recent meet, it could be drilled and riveted with stainless rivets, could be done with a cordless drill quite simply.
If your going to bin it i have some thin stainless welding rods i would be happy to give it a go either drilling and rivetting or welding it, with the caveat that if it ends up as junk then thats the risk you take.
I personally reckon drill and stainless rivets. Even aluminium ones would probably be okay, i doubt they would melt tbh.

I can bring the bits to do it at the next meet we both happen to be at if that helps

Thanks Ed, that's very decent of you. I'll drop you a note on the off--chance when I'm next heading down to Wayne's meet.
Kind regards,
Dave

Reactions: MrEd

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My polly kettle (standard stainless gas ring kettle, with a folding handle, got taken camping by the dauhter. Managed to break off the handle mount (very poorly spot welded on).
Luckilly I'd brought a TIG welder to play with, and that was my first job.
Fixed a treat. Though it was a 'training' job, so not pretty.

If you can find someone with a TIG set, that would be a 2min job. Else, I agree with the pop rivet suggestions.

Buying a tig welder just to learn how to tig weld. Bold move sir! Kudos

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Buying a tig welder just to learn how to tig weld. Bold move sir! Kudos
Ta.

I've been doing DIY MIG welding for decades. But watching 'This Old Tony' on YT (A must see, for any home machinists) and his demo's of TIG. I thought it looked too good not to try.
It takes far more skill than MIG. But I recon it's well worth it. Far more flexible and contolable. Especially on small parts.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Ta.

I've been doing DIY MIG welding for decades. But watching 'This Old Tony' on YT (A must see, for any home machinists) and his demo's of TIG. I thought it looked too good not to try.
It takes far more skill than MIG. But I recon it's well worth it. Far more flexible and contolable. Especially on small parts.

He is great on YT. I also watch ‘abomb’ and Keith fenner - althoughfuys are not home diy lol

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recommend to send an e-mail to Tatonka.

I think, it is a production fault.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE