How do i protect my knife over the winter months??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I have 2 knives, A carbon steel Alan wood style knife and a Fallkniven F1. I bought the F1 to use in the bad months when the weather is wet, there is a lot of salt around and things could get nasty for a carbon steel blade.

I have gotten over the shiny knife syndrome (It took quite a long time.. :shock: ) and am now quite pleased with the patina the knife is getting... but when it is not going to be used for a long period of time, what is the best method of storing / caring for it.

I have read that it is not good to store in the sheath as the sheath can be damp, making rust an issue... :nono: (Makes sense) So what should i store it in..

My thoughts are that some kind of coating for the blade, wax maybe?? and a simple cardboard sheath for the blade would perhaps work well..

How do you guys store your knives over the winter months... when their use is little if at all??

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
the knives i dont use any more and the one i do all year round which are all carbon steel and i live by the sea are coated with camelia oil from axminster, the puukko has been stored in its sheath too for about 6 months and not one spot of rust has apeared on any of them, there is also a thread on here somewhere about camelia oil , who ever it was who put it mentioned they hadnt used their woodlore for a year ,left in its sheath with a coating of camelia and its fine , which is where i heard about it , hope that helps http://www.axminster.co.uk/?type=i&submit=Search&searchwhat=camelia+oil

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I tend to use the Sentry Tuf Cloths ( http://www.sentrysolutions.com/ ) as a general rule; I prefer the marine version as it seems to stand up to salt water much better, but I don't think I know of a UK stockist. The other thing that works really well is Renaissance Wax, available from Lakeland ( http://www.lakelandlimited.com ).

Ren wax was developed by/for the Royal Armouries, who tend to be a bit twitchy about rust forming on blades... :D

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I asked a similar question some time ago myself, and was informed of Renaissance Wax, which though not the cheapest product out there, is excellent stuff. Do a search on the web for the best price around, I seem to remember I paid about £8 for a 200 ml tin. I’d highly recommend it and it has multiple uses.

ranger

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just fold some paper around the blade and keep the knife and the sheath together in a drawer. I have never noticed rust forming round the blade even when it was in its sheath.

jake

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Well, I use my knives all year, so really don't store them somewhere. Except when it's snowing...

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
During my trip to Scotland (the land where it rains every day) I got problems with rust on my knife. But with a tootbrush and some toothpaste I got rid of te rust and to protect the knife I used the swedish army lip balm and it worked great. So now that is the only thing I use on my knives. Sometimes the simplest of things works best :wink:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I wouldnt think "army" and "lip balm" would go together :lol:

Or you could just oil the blade every evening.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I live on the coast,durring the winter months it very damp and rainy.I coat my knife blades with WD-40 or a lite coat of oil. Like the Viking & Buckshot says "use them". WD-40 also takes off light rust spots.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Thanks for all the replies, this forum never ceases to amaze me.. :biggthump , I will look up the REN wax now,.. As for using the knife all year round... If only it was that easy...

In winter I tend to hit the peak district, and anyone who knows the Bleaklow area will probably also know there aint many trees... Some good opportunities to build snow holes though... Either way, the distinct lack of trees kind of renders a knife useless... A SAK maybe to open the tin of beans, otherwise...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I will look up the REN wax now
Have a good hunt around for a good price as they vary wildly (£5-£15+).... you can also pick it up in small sample pots which is really all you will need as a little goes along way ;-)

Ed

leon-1

I must admit that I tend to be a year round user, but I also use camellia oil on my knives which are not being used.

Camellia oil is quite handy, the chinese used to use it for cooking in and coating ladies hair to give it lustre, as well as on thier sharp tools.

Effectively you can get two versions of the stuff (Chinese and Japanese), they are pretty much the same thing and a little goes a very long way. :eek:):

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
al said:
there is also a thread on here somewhere about camelia oil , who ever it was who put it mentioned they hadnt used their woodlore for a year ,left in its sheath with a coating of camelia and its fine , which is where i heard about it , hope that helps http://www.axminster.co.uk/?type=i&submit=Search&searchwhat=camelia+oil
Hi al,
probably me. I'm a big fan of the stuff and did post something to that effect. My knife was used a few times during it's first year but does always live in it's sheath with just a wipe over of camelia. Reckoned that if it was good enough for the best japanese blades ever forged, it might have something going for it :wink:

One of the things that I always carry when I'm out and about is a small tin with an old oil soaked rag inside. It's no trouble to wipe your knife off after use and because the oil is so light it's not greasy and just rubs into your hands. Oil is also great for lifting sticky sap and the like off the blade too. Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE