how do I handle Birch Bark?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I cut myself some Birch Bark off of a fallen log. On the same trip I also found some cramp balls and cat tail heads. With my little stash of supplies, Id like to make myself a little box or satchel thing to hold my tinder in. Ive never done any craft work with Birch Bark. Im an artist by nature, I can paint and make things, but I'm new to bushcraft.
Its dark on the inside - do I scrape all that off? Ive heard it makes good tinder, can I dry the stuff I scrape off?

Its not very thick, and tears easier than I thought it would. I dont know if all birch bark does this or if the log i got it off simply wasn't a good one. also I read somewhere to soak it first but I'm not sure. Ill show you all the finished result if you help me (and don't laugh!)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I think birch bark in warmer climates tends to be thinner. I took off a piece the other day that was pretty thick and strong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
British birch bark tends to be very thin, and full of little slits where the lenticles run around the tree.

If you find a sound bit clean it carefully and work it warm. I find it easiest to create tubs and tubes if I wrap it slightly damp around a straight sided jar and wrap it with an old crepe bandage ( sounds weird but it really works) until it keeps that shape.

Mostly the bark I find is way too thin and slit to make something solid with so I laminate it, building up several layers.

Perhaps the best way for a beginner to use the bark is to cut it into strips across the bark and weave them.
One of my friends, the basketmaker Bryce Reynard works with birch like this....there are some examples on this website
http://www.westmossside.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=163

I use linen thread for sewing the bark together but I have used spruce roots and even leather.
Best advice I could give is patience :rolleyes: :D

atb,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about wrapping it round a jar. This bark is certainly too thin to make a canoe out of! but Im sure its got some use. The weaving technique sounds a good idea, and probably something I should learn to do. Im a bit of a weaving novice, though I did make a palm frond hat on a day course a couple of years ago.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I use it only for tinder,it seems I could never strip decent sheet off.And it burns readily even wet.But Wild Cherry (Prunus avium) bark is something different.It`s very tough and maybe you will find it better for work.It can be taken from fallen trees in very large sheets.And when smoothed with steel wool has very nice appearance.Maybe better for craft.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have a Silver Birch tree in my front garden and you can't strip the bark off at all, it is so tough and thick. Yet there are some Paper Birch trees on my way to work and they practically are shedding their thin bark. I think it depends on the type and age of the birch tree?

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Bark from a fallen Birch log is already dead and starting to decay. It will be brittle. How soon you get to that bark after the log has died will affect how flexible the bark is.

For Birch Bark crafts, you really need fresh bark CUT and then peeled off of a live tree. Those little "leaves" sticking out from a white or paper birch tree that you can just grab and pull/peel off are OK for fire starting or possibly some crafts, but not much more. The real stuff to use is just under that outside layer that is peeling away on its own.

So you really need that LIVING layer of bark. Taking small sections from a birch tree will not automatically kill it - just don't strip it off completely around the tree. If you completely "ring" the tree, the bark will not grow back and heal itself, and the tree will die. But small sections can and do grow back and heal themselves.

The best time/place to get birch bark is right after it has been cut down. The loggers don't need or want the bark, and it will be stripped off at the mill anyway. So if you see some logging of white/paper birch trees going on, check with them about the possibility of harvesting/saving some of it.

Just a few humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Some people I know lay out their harvested bark on a flat surface, and weight it down so that it dries flat. Some roll it up for storage. It's a matter of personal choice - along with what you intend to make from it. To use, they then soak it in water for several days to make it more pliable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE