How do I clean the last of the rust????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
ugatu5y6.jpg
ydy8abyt.jpg

Hi guys I have wire brushed this as clean as I can but there is still rust in the small pits on the inside that I can't get too!!! I have been told to submerge it in white vinegar for about a week but I want to use it sooner if possible any help welcome! Would dipping it in coke overnight work the same as a penny?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can electrolyse the rust off by putting it in washing soda connected to a battery charger with the other terminal connected to a bit of sacrificial iron. Should only take a few hours. Then re-season it

Great dutch oven.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
[video=youtube;0XlsNucmbiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlsNucmbiE[/video]

This is a pretty fair demo

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red you must have had an interesting life

Mmmm in much the same way as "may you live in interesting times" ;)

Yes btw - it needs to be washing soda. £1 a bag in any decent supermarket (green bag). Also useful for cleaning up beehives, clearing drains....or even doing washing!

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Electrolysis used extensively by stovies to clean up their Optimus 111 cases prior to repainting! Works a treat.

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
You can use a chemical process, Citric Acid mono-hydrate which is the primary component of rust remover.

A trip to your local hardware store for some may be an option to you.

I think he meant washing soda as opposed to caustic soda.

I think the original question was between bicarb and washing, but yes you definitely wouldn't want to use caustic. Even though it will work in the same way, its horrible stuff and I wouldn't want to work with it myself: I value my skin!

Another point for OP, Make sure you don't use stainless steel for the anode: it'll give off chromium which should probably not be poured away anywhere.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think the original question was between bicarb and washing, but yes you definitely wouldn't want to use caustic. Even though it will work in the same way, its horrible stuff and I wouldn't want to work with it myself: I value my skin!

Ah, yes, missed that bit. Pardon me.

Whilst it's not for electrolytic rust removal, caustic does have its place in the great scheme of things but needs to be handled with respect and suitable protection.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks great - you've done a cracking job there :)

I fancy it could do with a couple more coats of seasoning - but other than that, can't fault it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE