How Cork is made, and does anyone know of UK Cork Oaks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Stumbled upon this earlier and thought it may be of interest to some people:

http://www.wineanorak.com/corks/howcorkismade.htm

Very interesting process.

I remember some Cork Oaks (Quercus suber) when I visted Cornwall years ago and am very unsure about how far north these go, does anyone know a Cork Oak near them?

It's OK - I'm not gonna cork it! just interested in distribution and even UK production stands.

And incase your curious about protecting what seems to be a more sustaiable industry than screw-tops, there is a petition too ;)

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I was recently shown a mature cork oak in a private garden near Bovey Tracey in Devon. Also believe there is one in the council offices grounds at Sidmouth in Devon. No pictures though!

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Not sure, but from the little research I've done it seems that (most of) the UK produces cork that is too 'loose' to make good corks out of - too damp, and yes, we all know how few hours of sunshine the UK has been getting but there are may ways we could utilise it no doubt.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I have a picture of a Cork Oak that I saw when visiting a garden just over the Tremar (Cornwall side) - but it's got my (now) ex draped all over it!

And it's not that kind of website :D

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Only just spotted this one ! I had the pleasure of doing some tree surgery on a mature cork oak (the one i showed Skate) on a private estate in Devon she is a beauty (largest one in the country , outside Kew i am led to believe ) if you or anyone else is down this way on their travels would be more than happy to show her off! Must get off my bum and take some pics and post them.

Surgery was performed many years ago i may add 1987 ! she survived that storm and the Jan 90 one as she is so well sheltered , the bark is so thick and dense i recon you could ease off a piece and wine bootle cork to your hearts content.

Atb

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE