How can I stop cats doing there business in my garden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Some new neighbours moved in about 6 months ago and since then, are garden has become a frequent toilet for there cats. You wouldn't beleive how many times we've found nasty cat nuggets in a nest of moss on the lawn. I've blocked up all the gaps under the fence with bricks, but I need a homemade remedy of some sort to get rid of them.

I hear carpet spike strips along the top of the fence works, but I don't want to hurt them, just make them uncomftorble or scare them to stop them from coming back.

I have tried carbolic soap before and it didn't seem to work. I have...also peed in a line along the frequent pooping area, but that hasn't worked very well, due to I suspect all the rain we've been having.

I need a remedy of some sought, from materials that can be found in the house and that don't involve necessarily buying any sort of noise emmiters or other animals.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've always had 100% success with my cat deterrent:cool:

SA80_Rifle_HFC.jpg

Seriously though, buy cheap black pepper and sprinkle it where they go....They hate it !!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I love the tiger poo one! You can buy it from the zoo for this purpose. I mean you can just see the advert now

"tired of cats pooing on the lawn? scare them off by smearing the whole thing with TIGER TURDS! they are bigger and smell more than the original problem you had! A huge deterrent to house cats everywhere!"

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I've always had 100% success with my cat deterrent:cool:

SA80_Rifle_HFC.jpg

Seriously though, buy cheap black pepper and sprinkle it where they go....They hate it !!

If only I could pot them in the backside with my BB gun. I used to shoot grapes in my slingshot at other cats when we had this problem before, but these cats are long gone by the time I've unlocked the back door.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do confess to thinking that people who own cats should ensure they are trained to use litter trays etc.

I have found the rapid application of a jet wash effective too (on "blast the mud off the 4x4" setting).

Around here fortunately there are no "cat people" so any seen are ferals - the game keeper makes short work of them - the one exception is an old ratter of a barn cat who is too wiley for the game keeper but also doesn't take birds (only rodents etc.) and doesn't, ever defacate in peoples gardens - I guess he uses the woods.

Genuinely I have never understood how its deemed acceptable to have a creature that leaves faeces in other peoples agrdens where toddlers play.

Red

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I was watching Alan Titchmarsh on tv (yesterday i think) and he had a viewer write in about this problem of cats fouling in the garden. He suggested planting 'dog rose' around the place.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I just saw the little bugger on the top of the shed in my neighbours garden, taunting me. I proceeded by throwing gone-off grapes at him.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Water pistol but you've got to be in the right place at the right time. I will admit to being a bit cat adverse as the previous owner of my house had 43 cats and 2 dogs. Needless to say there is not much of the original house left, but i still manage to smell the cats sometimes!!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Water pistol but you've got to be in the right place at the right time. I will admit to being a bit cat adverse as the previous owner of my house had 43 cats and 2 dogs. Needless to say there is not much of the original house left, but i still manage to smell the cats sometimes!!

I used to have a super soaker type thing from America which consisted of a backpack part and a rather large plunger which would saturate everything when fired. I got rid of it years ago though when I outgrew all that stuff as a kid.

If all else fails, I suppose I can always throw a slipper at it like my dad used to.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
conversley if you use an ammonia based cleaning spray it will attract cats to do tieir business where you have sprayed the stuff.......

obviously only realy helpful if you have a Neighbour you dont particularly like.....:ban:

Ah because of the ammonia content in wizz. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to mark my terrirory afterall.:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE