How best to attach snowshoes to rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Er, at the risk of sounding flippant, but how about strapping them to the side of your pack?

Or one either side, considering that they're usually quite big.

If you keep them on the outside of your pack then they can be deployed easily without having to dig them out of your pack and risk getting snow inside your 'sack.

There again I could be talking out of my bottom as I've never used snowshoes, but I have used crampons and iceaxes, and they're best strapped to the outside, so you can get to them easier.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Like the man said, strapped or tied to the outside on the back. They're (usually) too big to get into a rucsac and you don't need to deploy them in a hurry, so it's not a problem as long as you make sure you can still get into the sac for the things you need when the snowshoes are secured.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I usually have a separate bag for my snowshoes - it's a snowboard one, which has plenty of outside clips and places to thread them onto the bag. It's a simple case of sliding them into the place and just clipping them on.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks for the replies.

Yep, outside and on the side, but, how best to attach them? :rolleyes:

Off next week for an "organised" week's winter walking, so it will be a standard walking rucksack with not too many straps on the side.

I'm sure I'll find a way to do it; just wondered if anyone knew any cunning tricks.:)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I found that one of my rucksacks had straps on the side that were ideal for fastening snowshoes to.:rolleyes:

The others in the group had a lot of bother and various unsatisfactory ways were utilised. The most common way was to trap them under the lid of the sack; this was a bit dodgy when it was snowing.

One thing worth noting, the modern type of snowshoe, with fancy ratchet strap tightening fittings ( ours were TSL 325) lasted about 5 minutes until the plastic strap snapped. Luckily the shoes were hired; we all ended up with good old fashioned nylon straps and had no bother with them.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You can either make or buy short webbing straps with plastic buckles on the end . Then snowshoes can either be strapped to the side of your pack, or you can attach them to the daisy chains on the back (if you have them).

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I found that one of my rucksacks had straps on the side that were ideal for fastening snowshoes to.:rolleyes:

The others in the group had a lot of bother and various unsatisfactory ways were utilised. The most common way was to trap them under the lid of the sack; this was a bit dodgy when it was snowing.

One thing worth noting, the modern type of snowshoe, with fancy ratchet strap tightening fittings ( ours were TSL 325) lasted about 5 minutes until the plastic strap snapped. Luckily the shoes were hired; we all ended up with good old fashioned nylon straps and had no bother with them.

Sorry Mike, I missed this post......anyway, sounds like you got through.

I allways have the following goodies with me for DIY repairs when leading Snowshoeing trips:-

1. A good quality roll of 'Black nasty' (duct tape) - Note: Not the electrical insulation kind as it usually fails when wet.

2. A pack of 'various sized Ty-raps' to hold together any buckle snaps, etc

3. Multi-tool for any adjustments (kit dependant)

I allways place the snowshoes together with the grips on the inside of each other and plonk them inside my pack - that way the spikes don't pierce the pack material and if your last man in the line or on your own, you don't lose one or both as could happen if attached to the outside of your pack - I'm old school as regards to having as little as possible hanging on the outside of the pack, an assessor at Glenmore Lodge used to call it 'the xmas tree syndrome':lmao:

Hope this makes sense

well done mate

goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE