Hot assets......(no, its not like those spam emails)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I've struggled to think how to word this....so without further ado.

When I exercise, heat tends to concentrate in areas you really dont want it to. Im already a fan of medicated talcs, but in a quest to avoid the dreaded tinea, what underwear do folks recommend for blokes? It won't come a huge surprise to discover I'm looking for:

- reasonable pricing
- stuff that wicks like crazy
- something that wont stink like a hot waterlogged mammal.

Any ideas? (dont even think of suggesting an ice pack for the chaps!)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I wear running short with sewn in jewel netting, like swim shorts. Nice a loose, airy, and v comfy. From Lidls :) but any run short with sewn it pant would be the same.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I loved the icebreaker merino boxers but found the legs wore away too quickly. Currently living in BAM sports trunks- every bit as good as merino, non- smelly if out for a couple I nights but a bit cheaper. Only gripe is the elastic waistband looses its elasticity more quickly than the icebreakers- I've emailed them to ask if they can look into it and they replied straight away to say they would, and sent a replacement pair that pm and arrived the next morning.

Highly recommended, no connections etc.

KP

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I wear Under armour heat gear vented when exercising and when I travel in warmer climates. Even the shorter ones are a bit long and I do feel a bit kids from fame in the locker room but they don't chafe and I do find they are able to be worn for longer periods without attracting flies.

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've struggled to think how to word this....so without further ado.

When I exercise, heat tends to concentrate in areas you really dont want it to. Im already a fan of medicated talcs, but in a quest to avoid the dreaded tinea, what underwear do folks recommend for blokes? It won't come a huge surprise to discover I'm looking for:

- reasonable pricing
- stuff that wicks like crazy
- something that wont stink like a hot waterlogged mammal.

Any ideas? (dont even think of suggesting an ice pack for the chaps!)

I'll second southey's advice about wicking running shorts with the sewn-in netting - I often just wear them when hiking in the summer. In the winter, wicking jocks of whatever meterial you find comfiest will do. That said, I've known lads who had medical problems with overheating down there, especially on tabs, and doctors were able to sort them out, so if it's a major issue, maybe ask your doc about it.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I have been using a pair of Polaris cycling shorts, these are not the usual lycra jobbies, they are nice and baggy with mesh side pockets and a mesh lining to ventilate and keep the heat down :D. Oh yes the cycling pad is removable so you don't have to keep that in and look like you have had an accident.
I seem to survive in normal hiking trousers through the winter, but the polaris shorts are my go to's in the summer.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This has to be in the top five strangest posts I've seen in my six or seven years on BCUK. 'Whats the best tent/sleeping bag/lantern' et al I can understand....underwear....naa.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Ah. The sweat of shame.

I knew a guy who had this trouble, he was a chef, so the heat in the kitchen added to his 'issue'. He swore by talc. Loads of the stuff.
One time, he ran out of talc, and used plain flour instead....
Apparently his evening bowel movement was, shall we say, excruciating.
The flour had become wet with the sweat and formed a sort of sticky dough on the hairs around his 'sheriff's badge'. This dough later set hard, so as he thrust, his 'movement' tore all the hairs out.....

Anyway, I'd go with talc, baby talc is good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ah. The sweat of shame.

I knew a guy who had this trouble, he was a chef, so the heat in the kitchen added to his 'issue'. He swore by talc. Loads of the stuff.
One time, he ran out of talc, and used plain flour instead....
Apparently his evening bowel movement was, shall we say, excruciating.
The flour had become wet with the sweat and formed a sort of sticky dough on the hairs around his 'sheriff's badge'. This dough later set hard, so as he thrust, his 'movement' tore all the hairs out.....

Anyway, I'd go with talc, baby talc is good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
:lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I know its not exactly what you are asking, but I think it would be worth visiting a doctor and asking them for some advice.

Obviously this is more than just an inconvenience or I don’t think you would have bought up the topic.

It may be that powder and miracle wicking fabrics are the best outcome for you, but they are only treating the symptoms. I think it would be worth looking at the causes.

There are medical conditions and treatments which may be relevant and I think it would be worth investigating those too ?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
After suffering chafing problems on a three day hike I bought two pairs of lycra "sports underpants"from M&S. Bit like cycle short without the padding. Although they are a lot hotter to wear than my usual cotton or silk, they seem to have solved the problem. The down side is the pong. By the end of the day I'm trying to keep upwind of myself!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Try this http://www.patra.com/products-Mens-Pure-Silk-Short-Johns_MSJ.htm

Silk won't pong when you sweat like nylon does :). I've used them for best part of 20 yrs (women's version - before we have any comments LOL), and they've lasted nearly that long. Just been buying replacements this year.

nature has it over man-made every time :D ... it's all those billennia of pratice :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE