Hostile Habitats-Scotlands Mountain Environment

Recently Ole Smokey showed me a book he was given. Hostile Habitats-Scotland's Mountain Environment, a hillwalkers guide to the landscape and wildlife.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hostile-Habitats-Scotlands-Environment-Hillwalkers/dp/0907521932
I ordered a copy because on first browse it looked very informative and very well laid out and researched. I'm into my mammals and the information on mammals is very well researched and presents uptodate research on mammal behaviour that is not even found in most mammal books. I'm impressed.
I spend a lot of time in remote country and have more than a passing interest in the landscape. I don't like all encompassing guides that pretend to do it all prefering specific guides instead. To be fair, this guide does do a tremendous job of doing it all to a reasonable level and depth which will either satisfy your quest for knowledge or motivate you to look even further for more indepth information.
The book covers alot and explains everything from geology to wildlife and archaeolgy...chapters cover:
Climate, Rock ID, Landform ID, Plant ID, Insects, Birds, Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibian and Fish, Human Traces and of course management and the future.

The book is intended for hillwalkers and rock hoppers and it's not going to be everyones cup of tea but I would suggest that it's a very good start for anyone who wishes to know more about the mountains and glens they use and love. If you camp or walk on or between those hills I would recommend it fully. Enjoy.
WS

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
This is a great book. I've had it for a while and can thoroughly recommend it. Very readable with lots of great facts and pictures. goodjob

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Let me first assure you that I'm looking to see where my coat hangs whilst writing this but given my rekindled memories of youthful deer stalking c/o the "what do you put on your porridge", thread, I just can't resist the observation of any 80's Scottish Bed & Breakfast!!

Cheers and no offence intended. Something I say as only the son of an Englishmen who went to war as a member of the London & Scottish Regiment might.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've got this too.

I find knowing more about the surrounding geology, botany and fauna makes the experience of being 'out there' much deeper.

I've got this too.

I find knowing more about the surrounding geology, botany and fauna makes the experience of being 'out there' much deeper.

Yes, I agree. Knowledge and an understanding of the landscape we are in at a level we are comfy with can only serve to enrich our experiences even more.
In my younger days when studying community education, we were signposted to Paulo Freire who wrote a very famous book about education. A very simple idea he developed based on his observations of living amongst the south American impoverished was that people "name" their world. He developed a literacy and social change movement out of this. If we have the knowledge about our environment and we can visually see it, we are not only enriched by it, it becomes part of who we are. It becomes ours.

WS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for this review :D
I hadn't heard of this book but it sounds right up HWMBLT's well, mountain, really :D and his birthday is a coming soon :approve:

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE