Horse Chestnut Soap?

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I rad somewhere that the Horse chestnut is the 2nd most productive plant, Saponin wise, in the UK. On Saturday I attempted to clean my dirty hands using the leaves from the plant.

Method was, select greenest leaves from tree, break leaf into individual leaflets and roll tightly, stuff about a dozen into pan , cover with cold water and warm gently over fire.
I didn't know how this was going to turn out so I frequently checked the water for bars of soap :) . At a temperature which I would estimate at 40/50 degrees, certainly low enough that you could still put your hand into the water, the water took a greenish tinge and felt far more viscous. Removing a leaf from the water and squeezing it out onto hands produced a thickish solution which felt very soap-like. Scrubbing the hands in this produced fewer "bubbles" than expected for a soap but was cleaning never the less. when the leaflett was used as a scrubbing cloth all dirt was removed.

I thought it worked quite well, the odour was not very pleasant but neither was it unpleasant. Perhaps the leaves on the turn were not at their best for this method, I don't know. I will be using it again in the future.

Sorry if this has been "done to death" already, but it was new to me and I thought it worked so well it was worth sharing.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have tried a similar thing with horse chestnut leaves; usually i just scrunch the leaves up, add a bit of cold water to it and then rub between hands, but i have never really got it to "foam" that well. But it still does clean your hands pretty decent.

There must be other natural soaps anybody know any more????

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
serves me right for not reading properly.......thought it was a recipe for soup. at least my breath smells fresh now.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
Cheers Barney, might give it ago myself!

Some saponin plants are Soapwort, Daisy, alfalfa, some types of campion root (white campion think?), asparagus fern, Birch leaves (including silver) and yucca. There will be loads more, but that's all I know!

Oh, I think bracken or ferns can be used but I don't know what types. Horse Chestnut seeds can be used like a bar of soap apparently- will have to try that too!

I tried boiled soapwort root (dried form) and found it pretty poor tbh. Maybe fresh would have been better.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I made some horse chestnut leaf soap last year and discovered the jam jar of it a few months later in the greenhouse. I found it to be not too bad - I never got a lather, but it felt soapy and it did clean the mud off my hands.

There was a little bit of discussion about it and other soaps here, including a rather unpleasant story about how the Incas might have discovered soap!

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE