'Horizontal' knife sheath.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Hi All.
I've seen a couple of people (on video) wearing their knife and sheath across their belly, ie., in a horizontal fashion. Can anyone tell me how this works? Can anyone point me towards a bushcraft knife set-up like this?

Ta Muchly.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I tried wearing my knife horizontally on my belt it a few years ago (swayed by watching a less-than-popular-in-certain-bushcraft-circles TV survival/entertainment chap...). I found it a) uncomfortable when sitting down, and b) awkward to use. I ended up adding a dangler to the sheath before selling the whole set-up. Each to his own of course, and it's fun to try stuff out!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Horizontal actoss the back or 'scout carry' is fairly popular for large knives.

I've carried a knife like this was when dling mountain sika stalking. With lots of time crawling on upur belly, it keeps the knofe out of the way yet easy to access when needed.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Works well on large blades and small ones too.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 111

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Horizontal side or front carry is greatly improved if you have a six-pack stomach as distinct from one that suggests regular consumption of six cans of beer.

K

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Very true K! Mind you I'm pretty trim :p if I say so myself! I still think horizontal carry is less comfortable and convenient than using a sheath with a dangler. My opinion only of course, but based on experience! :)

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tried them all, made just about every type of sheath carry i can think of and the horizontal just didn't work for me.

It did stay relatively out of the way but if you are using your knife regularly its a pain to un-sheath and re-sheath. Especially in colder weather when you are wearing extra layers, longer layers even worse.

I guess its a good suit for the "commando military" applications as you only take the knife out rarely.

Boring old usual sheath for me but a nice mod is to give it a bit of an angle to make the ergos a bit easier. Its also very dependent on the size and style of the knife.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Thank you, one and all. Lots of useful info. Loads of stuff I'd not considered, ie, getting at knife under clothing layers, discomfort due to spreading waistlines (maybe I should start smoking again!) and the rest. Once again I've learnt something new and your input is greatly appreciated. Ta Muchly. :cool:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I will stick with a baldric style carry. Easy access to it and comfy, also easily removed if needed.

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
This kind of carry was used by the Anglo Saxons. They would be equipped with large knife called a seax worn blade up and horizontally. It would be easier to deploy from behind your shield with one hand. The fyrds main weapon being a spear and shield, the seax was for up close and personal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE