Horizontal Carry - the Allan Blade solution

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I've always been interested in the idea of horizontal carry. To me it is neater to lie a knife along the belt than have a sheath dragging every time you sit or digging into your ribs with a high carry.

I saw Stuart's handmade knife and sheath at the BCUK meet last year. It carries hilt forward on the left - ideally placed for cross draw, easy to reach, easy to locate when putting away. That I like !

Well my curiousity is now satisfied and my prolem solved courtesy of an Allan Blade Scandi Packpal and a very neat piece of kydex. Thanks to John Kelly for posting pics of his new Allan Blade Runt which made me aware of this option just in time to let me e-mail Allan and ask him to add a horizontal carry clip to the sheath for my new Packpal.

Here are the pics - scandi packpal, morticed tang, cocobolo and mosic pins. It's a brilliant little knife and an excellent carry option. This is going to be a real user.
80Sheathed-med.jpg

80Unsheathed.jpg

80Belt.jpg

Excellent work Allan. Thanks !

leon-1

Just been looking at the picks in the gallery, since I have a knife which is almost identical (apart from sheath) I would be hard placed to fault it. Nice carry solution for these.

I was extremely aware of the quality of the handle on this little knife and the way that Allan had constructed it, almost seamless is the only way of putting it.

What do you make of yours Alick :)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Top class :biggthump

As you say, the handle is built in two halves, a mortice cut in to accept the tang and the whole thing glued up to give a hidden tang scandi appearance.

The glue line between the two sides of the handle is immaculate - almost invisible. The wood looks great. It's quite a sculpted shape as you can tell by looking at the contours of the cocobolo as well as the view in profile. These are exceptional value for money, very sharp and the utility finish on the blade just makes you want to get on and use it.

Based on first impressions I'll recommend these to anyone without hesitation. :eek:):

A

Allan Blade

Hey,

Glad ya like the knife and sheath set up, hope it works well for ya.

part i like about the sheahts is that they are able to be taken apart and cleaned readily with out hassle.

If you noticed also right were the handle and blade meet on all of the scandi pack pals and all other mortised tang blades i make i apply a polymer seal around the ricasso at that junction to provide waterproof protection against corrosion creep into the tang area, works great.

anyway glad you like it. Have a good week !

Regards, Allan Blade

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I figured out how it worked yesterday i think, i haven't applied it but i'll do it later, it's a great option!

Cheers.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I love the Cocobolo handle with mosaic pins it is a great look. I am looking forward to the modified Bushcrafter with that combination.

When I wear the Runt as a horizontal carry I tend to wear it more to the front. Still on the left but more above my front pocket. I still find this does not get in the way and it is easy to remove. I also like to wear it vertically, upside down, on the front of my left rucksack strap as it is really handy here but looks a wee bit tactical.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Allan makes great knifes that, in my opinion, cannot be beaten for value.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE