Hootchie Cootchie!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just re-read the review of the Woodlore fundamental week long course by C.H.Claycomb, [which was great, by the way]

He mentions,

For two nights the whole group slept under hootchies (tarps supplied by Woodlore) strung between trees. The proper technique for setting up and packing away these shelters was demonstrated first.

Theres a proper way???!! :yikes:

So.......How do you do it??

[A lame question, but they dont come with instructions, and mine always ends up with cords and string sticking out everywhere!!]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Giancarlo. :biggthump
I should have made that clearer. I meant how do you fold it away properly? Like the picture in Bushcraft, where it fits snugly into Ray Mears hand?
Do you fold it once, so that there is a crease in the middle? Or fold both sides in to join in the middle, and then roll it up or what?
Any links on how to do this?

Cheers.

T

theknight

Dave

I may be wrong but I heard that the Hootchie that Woodlore supplies isn't the Australian Hootchie so perhaps it folds down better as the one I have is a genuine Australian one and I couldn't possible get that down to the size Ray Mears does!

So yes, me to would like to know how that works.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I seem to remember Ray packing one away on one of his programmes, but can't remember which one it was.
:?:
:-?
IIRC he left the ridge line up and folded it like a pleat.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
On a related subject I was wondering he correct method of using bungees to put up a basha/hootchie. I've got some on order and I am hoping they will simplify things even more. Do you use two at either end of the ridge line and attach them to the trees with a paracord loop round the tree? Also, do you just use paracord as normal to secure the corners and edges or can you use bungees here too?

An info would be good!

Cheers

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
How small it goes when you fold a hootchie depends on what weight of material it is made out of - 2oz or 4oz cloth. The 4oz won't fold as small as the 2oz. The way you fold it does make a significant difference though. Why not experiment with different ways of folding it until you find the way that best suits you in its combination of how small it goes and how easily you can unfold it to easily put it up your preferred way?

If you use a ridge line, you don't need bungees. The knots for securing the ridgeline to trees are in 'Bushcraft' as are the adjustable sliding knots for the guy-lines.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I currently use a similar method to the one in Bushcraft but thought I'd have a go with bungees.... just don't have a clue what you're supposed to do with 'em!

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
I've never used bungees for this but I've seen a few people who have. They seem to just use it as a different way of getting tension into the ridgeline. One example I saw was of tying a karabiner to the end of the ridgeline then taking a bungee around the tree, with both hooks connected to the karabiner. The other way was to put a loop of cord around the tree and connect the loop to the hootchie with a bungee. Again there was a karabiner involved but I cant remember whether it was between the bungee and the hootch or the bungee and the cord that went around the tree.

Seems to me that if your ridgeline is long enough, the above are a bit superfluous. You are just adding extra kit (ie weight) you don't need, that can go wrong or can be lost.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
This is how I was shown by Juha who was running the fundamental course I attended.
With the ridge cord still tied to the trees,
untie any cord used to tie ends of hootchie to the ridge cord,
place your index finger at midpoint between the first two tape loops, pull towards you and hold, do the same working your way along the hootchie so that you should end up with a concertina or pleated hootchie, walk to end of ridge cord and release from tree and fold up hootchie, wrap cords around and it will fit in the palm of your hand.Ready to go up next time .
N.B. I had to practice a few times to get this anywhere near as neat as shown in the book !!!!

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
I have tried both the bungie and ridge rope, both have thier merits, but I think that for versitilety, the bungie works for me. I know that carrying bungie can add weight, but I think that this is compensated for by ease of use. As for folding, it's down to personal preference, I fold mine so that it is small enough to fit into the pocket at the top of my rucksack so it is easy to get to in a hurry. :)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
My 9' x9' nylon tarp came neatly folded and compressed from the retailer. I was pleased to see it slip into the chart pocket of my german daypack. Then, armed with printouts of shelters from our website www.equipped.org I ventured forth into the wildplaces. Things were textbook until I broke camp. My tarp refused to fold neatly. Efforts to line up corners and neatly press air pockets out were met with a stubborn refusal. I even tried mental flashbacks of my Basic Training Chief hammering the geometric perfection of stowed gear and mirror smooth bunk into my soul. The tarp would not yield. Eventually I managed a semblance of order, the package roughly 4 times the origonal with corners approaching 87 to 96 degrees. I had my ruck neaty stowed, everything placed in an order that assured my place in the cosmos. Then it began to rain.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Dave said:
Just re-read the review of the Woodlore fundamental week long course by C.H.Claycomb, [which was great, by the way]

He mentions,

For two nights the whole group slept under hootchies (tarps supplied by Woodlore) strung between trees. The proper technique for setting up and packing away these shelters was demonstrated first.

Theres a proper way???!! :yikes:

So.......How do you do it??

[A lame question, but they dont come with instructions, and mine always ends up with cords and string sticking out everywhere!!]

The way to set it up and the knots used are in Rays book Bushcaft and Essential Bushcraft.
To take down and pack the hootchie;
-Release all guy lines and hank them starting from hootchie end.
-Slide the ridge loops to the centre of the ridge line and neatly arange the folds of the hootchie concertina fashion.
-Release one end of the ridge line and neatly lay the the folded hootchie on the ground.
-Release the other end of the ridge line.
-Fold the hootchie in half along the same line as the origional concertina.
-Place the hanked guy lines on the hootchie in a bundle at the bottom.
-Roll from the bottom (guy line end) to the top (ridge line end) making a neat bundle arround the hanked guy lines.
-Take one half the ridge line and wrap neatly and tightly arround the rolled up hootchie, tuck the end underneath itself.
-Wrap the remaining ridge line arround the package perpendicular to the previous half of ridge line, and secure in the same way.

I sure hope that makes sense :biggthump

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Just to add, I've tried bungees in the past but cord is far more versatile.

Once you get the hang of it the above method is far quicker and easier than bungees.
Trees are not allways the correct distance appart for bungees, cord is far more adjustable.
You can use the cord/ropes with your hootchie to make a boat.
Accidents are more likely to happen with bungees.
You can't strip the inner cord out of your bungees for other uses, if needed.
A good strong ridge line provides a small ammount of protection from falling branches, bungees do not.
Bungees are no subsitute for good rope skills. :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would avoid a bungee because even though they may be far quicker to put up they are also far more dangerous, a serious accident can occur when a bungee starts flying about. I do use them now and then for securing my basha tent or a tarp, but it is rare.

bushblade mentions that a cord can offer some protection. I would say that a cord can offer you a lot of protection if you go for a good one. I have heard a couple of tales of people sleeping under bashas/hoochie that have had branches stopped from hitting them because of the ridge line they set up.

You're not just looking at convenience but safety as well, the extra weight, if you are willing to carry it should be focused on how useful an item is, and safety make an item very useful. Plus a cord can be sued for numerous other things.

Is that about 3p worth :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The scope for injury with using bungees is quite real ... but it still doesn't stop me using them at times! I find that using normal straight pegs is bad news. Since I've been using screw-in Arktis Twizelpegs I've found that using bungees is possible as they have tremendous holding power is even loose soil.

Do take care though, especially when hooking and unhooking bungees cored (no matter where you are using them) ... medical science is pretty good but fixing broken eyes is neither guaranteed or pain-free! :shock:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Adi007 said:
The scope for injury with using bungees is quite real ... but it still doesn't stop me using them at times! I find that using normal straight pegs is bad news. Since I've been using screw-in Arktis Twizelpegs I've found that using bungees is possible as they have tremendous holding power is even loose soil.

Do take care though, especially when hooking and unhooking bungees cored (no matter where you are using them) ... medical science is pretty good but fixing broken eyes is neither guaranteed or pain-free! :shock:

Perhaps another reason to use cord instead of bungees? With cord you can manufacture your own pegs from wood on site rather than carrying the extra weight of pre-fab pegs.

I'm not sure how well bungees would work with a hammock/tarp combo as you need a good length on the guy lines, especialy if using poles to give more roof space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE