Hooray, it's pancake day!

• Thread starter ex member coconino
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

What's going in your bushcraft pancake? I think I'll have to extend pancake day to the weekend to give me a chance to forage, but there may be some local options. How about birch sap syrup?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That syrup takes a while to prepare!
1 gallon makes a small bottle of syrup when you boil it down!
Mmmmmm pancakes!

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
We've got friends coming round for a pancake cook off tomorrow evening (I'm at Uni this evening) - we have to come up with a sweet and savoury filling each.
I'm very tempted to do a nettle and feta/goats cheese and pine nut filling as my savoury, but not sure I'll have time to forage for any (tho I think there may be a few new shoots in the garden?).
Not quite foraging, but my sweet one will probably be caramelised apples and vanilla ice cream...

mmm.....

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my son suggested at the shop crispy bacon and maple syrup. actually i'm very tempted!
otherwise SWMBO likes savoury and the kids classically love sweet so we have natural honey, golden syrup, maple syrup and good old lemon and sugar on standby

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Melonfish:

Your son is spot on. That is my favourite breakfast, the bacon and maple syrup go so well together and its even better when its layered in between the pancakes.

Craig

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
I often make American pancakes to go with crispy bacon and maple syrup - very good combination that I was very wary of initially! :lmao:

Banana pancakes (American style) are also really nice with maple syrup - especially good made with a little vanilla bean paste!

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I often make American pancakes to go with crispy bacon and maple syrup - very good combination that I was very wary of initially! :lmao:

Banana pancakes (American style) are also really nice with maple syrup - especially good made with a little vanilla bean paste!

yep I first tried it out in a place called the pancake house in Edinburgh and I got some funny looks from the rest of the family.

I will have to have a try of the banana and vanilla, .

Craig

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
More like a French crepe but a little thicker

basicpancakeswithsuga_66226_16x9.jpg

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks Nova, after typing my question Jacque Pepin did come to mind. Crepes are kinda fancy food for me. In my mind, American pancakes are between crepes and bannock, if that makes sense?

Gordy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
American pancakes (hopefully some blueberry pancakes), smoked pork sausages (also American), crispy bacon and cane molasses with black coffee and maybe a wee bit of orange juice.

If I had a bit more time I would have probably gone to New Orleans for Mardis Gras. Most people here don't know Mardis Gras (Fat Tuesday) is the same as pancake day.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now your talkin' my kinda grub!

Thanks SM2000!

Gordy

Oh yes - breakfast in the business end of Manhatten Island - crispy bacon, tall stack of pancakes, jug of mapel syrup, endless black coffee...almost my bestt memory of the weeks holiday!
Tonight though it will be a mix of some pancakes with lemon juice and sugar and some pancakes with maple syrup - traditional in our house...
I might go as far as hot orange marmalade and vanilla icecream if the batter lasts.....

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Scottish pancakes are more like the American type. I prefer them to the crepe type of pancake.
I'm getting hungry now....... yummy!...

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Every couple of years we go to Canada to visit my wifes family , our kids just love pancakes .
the best ones we make are big fat fluffy ones with apple chopped into the mix then butter and maple syrup on top .

thats it the kettle is on and i'm off to heat some leftover ones .

Craig...........

E

ex member coconino

Yes, very trad pancakes for me too, today. I'll leave the foraging to until the w/e. Accidentally made too much mix so might have to have more for breakfast ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE