Hooped Bivvy Bag

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Hi
Im considering a hooped bivvy and wondering what people would recommend ? I've seen the Dutch Army Hooped Bivvy and the Snupak stratosphere but am wondering what else might be available around the £100 mark and what people think of them ??
Any advice welcome .

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I've got a Dutch hooped bag and it's a nice piece of kit. But there's not a lot of space, it really is for sleeping in. If you want low profile then it's just what you need but you can buy a small one man tent that has more living space for a similar price and weight.
Hope this help
Phil

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I've got a Dutch hooped bag and it's a nice piece of kit. But there's not a lot of space, it really is for sleeping in. If you want low profile then it's just what you need but you can buy a small one man tent that has more living space for a similar price and weight.
Hope this help
Phil

Cheers Phil , it is primarily for just sleeping in , just fancied something with an enclosed headspace.....

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a Carinthia Observer as per my Link - Yes , costs quite a bit but super comfortable , little admin space and easy enough to feel protected and create a warm pocket.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Not a fan of hooped bivies. It always feels like they took the worst of a bivy, and the worst of a tent. It's a cramped fully enclosed area in which you can't sit up or do anything, but using a tarp or something like that over it seems like such a waste since you have an enclosed area.

I'd suggest you look at Trekkertent.com for a small light tent in which you can atleast change your clothes or spend a day in it if the weather is really terrible.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Not a fan of hooped bivies. It always feels like they took the worst of a bivy, and the worst of a tent. It's a cramped fully enclosed area in which you can't sit up or do anything, but using a tarp or something like that over it seems like such a waste since you have an enclosed area.

I'd suggest you look at Trekkertent.com for a small light tent in which you can atleast change your clothes or spend a day in it if the weather is really terrible.

I take your point , I normally use a non hooped bivvy and tarp , was just looking at other options and lightness, small tent is not out of the question , thanks for the link .

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
If you pick up the book of the bivvy, cracking little book money well spent...

army bivvy mits basha for myself

I have and use a surplus bivvy bag , tarp , usmc bivvy system , terra nova voyager and a mountain equipment dragonfly so am used to a variety of open and enclosed sleeping options , I fancy something lightweight that will withstand bad weather and give me another quick and easy lightweight option .....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE