Homemade Micarta (J-carta) question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I suppose this would be better suited for the BB forums, but seeing as I'm looking for some opinions specifically from Bushcrafters, I came here (thank me later for the loyalty:D ).

I am planning to rehandle a Cold Steel Recon Scout Bowie (already reshaped the blade to what I would prefer in a bowie, just need to make the handle perfect). As well, I broke the buffalo horn handle on my Nepalese Kukri (I have proven the legend wrong, though I suppose I was not in battle). Due to this, I want to upgrade to Micarta.

I saw the article on making homemade Micarta over on BB, out of denim (the author renamed it "J-carta"), and I liked the idea.

My questions, are as follow;

1) How durable in the long run is Micarta compared to wood?

2) Is there any benefit other than cost and personal accomplishment of homemade Micarta/J-carta, over commercial Micarta?

3) Has anyone else on here done/tried this? If so, what was your success, and what problems did you encounter?

Thanks in advance.

-Oz

Hi Ozza

1) How durable in the long run is Micarta compared to wood?
Micarta is almost like plastic so it should outlast wood , but a well looked after wood scaled knife should outlast you

2) Is there any benefit other than cost and personal accomplishment of homemade Micarta/J-carta, over commercial Micarta?
None

3) Has anyone else on here done/tried this? If so, what was your success, and what problems did you encounter?
I have made my own using denim from old jeans it came out ok , you need a lot of preasure and make sure you work in the resin well , and its very messy and smelly
I would just buy it :)

Hope this helps
John

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Aye, thanks Singeblister, and Tengu, you can find this subject on British Blades (the maker had an amazing Blue Jean handled knife!).

My main reason for wanting to use this, is the shear amount of old denim and scrap canvas I have laying around. I would rather see the pieces go to handling some knives, than end up in the garbage or firepit. Besides, it's a unique, and cost effective idea (and something to keep me busy for a few hours).

So Singeblister, would you suggest a Micarta (commericial or homemade) handle for a chopper like a Kukri?

I would say the only reason to make your own is if you wanted something that wasnt available to buy , like denim micarta , it does have a nice feel to it , its hard to explain the comercial stuff is colder and harder than the home made stuff , the only thing you have to watch is to make sure you get the resin to penatrate the denim , mine fluffed a bit when i shaped the handle as the resin hadnt got to the middle but it still worked all the same , it was a couple of years ago i made it and the knife is still out there goin strong as far as i know ,. just get some resin and go for it get plenty of G clamps and cling film or thick plastic to stop it sticking where you dont want it to , good luck Oza :)
here is one of the knives i made with it , more on my photobucket link below
501curve1.jpg

Ive been meaning to try this for a while now (used to work in resins and casting Soild surface )

I guess the main reason is satisfaction of doing it yourself and you can get a wider range of effects and colours.

this guy (fod from BB) does custom stuff and cuts the scales the other way and using rolled and twisted coloured fabrics get some interesting patterns

dosnt look a difficult mould set up but needs an amount of pressure to get the fabric squashed , air out and resin in etc
i might try some of the vacuum resins we used to use they are very thin and wet out easily tho i dont think they will suck thro a pile of squashed Jeans:rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE