Homemade Gabardine Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
From my (very) little reading about gabardine, I understood that it was windproof, not at all waterproof, but dries very quickly.

Looking at the seller's feedback, he's sold quite a few lots of gaberdine, all with positive feedback. Maybe worth dropping the seller a line with your questions? One of the other auctions I looked at said he was happy to send out samples of his fabrics.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
I got the idea from an article in this month's Walk magazine which has an article on 2 guys who belong to the Band of Historical Hillwalkers. They had gabardine smocks made from vintage WWII cotton gabardine which they claim is waterproof as well as windproof. I think I'll give the stuff from Ebay a go as it's cheap enough and as I say above, I can always wash it in Nikwax. Most of the rest of their gear is wool based.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Fair enough. I may well be wrong. I only came across some snippets about gabardine when I was researching a ventile smock last month. IIRC Mallory (?) used gabardine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to have a gabardine SAS smock whick I treated with Nikwax cotton proof.
A good showerproof windproof is how I would describe it.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Fair enough. I may well be wrong. I only came across some snippets about gabardine when I was researching a ventile smock last month. IIRC Mallory (?) used gabardine.

He did indeed. I seem to remember a programme about the clothing he wore and how it held up to modern fabrics - very well apparently. I've got a feeling Bruce Parry wore gabardine when he replicated Scott's South Pole journey too. OK the reindeer furs the 'Amundsen' team wore were better for various reasons but probably not for man-hauling sledges and also not terribly practical here on the Isle of Wight! Not that I shall be hauling sledges..........

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Anyway, I've ordered it and shall devise some sort of pattern for it to the best of my abilities based on pictures of smocks I've seen on the web and I'll put it through the washing machine with some nikwax for good measure.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Let us know how you get on. It was a good price IMO, far cheaper than ventile and the like. Will be very interested if it does turn out to be somewhat waterproof.

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
That seller also 'sold' the smock he has listed a few weeks ago. Although I'm probably being paranoid and he does/did have two identical brand new smocks in the same size.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
You could try PointNorth I think they're called! They supply lots of different materials and zips / fasteners, etc. You'd only need a pattern then!

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
I couldn't find a pattern I liked so I'm going to attempt to design it myself. The gabardine arrived this morning. It's a very strong green colour but seems good quality. It's quite heavy. Now I need to think about how long to make it - below my bum I think. And do I make it pull on or zip up? How do I design the hood. Draw string waist or not. Bib style pocket on front or side pockets?

Would help if I got my sewing machine fixed before I start though :)

BTW I clicked on the link for the ventile and then the link within that auction for the smock. Is it just me or is this link to "Readers Wives" for the survival fetishist.........? :-D

Jun 13, 2008
Colchester
Hello all, re: Mallory and his clothing. Go to the www.chocolatefish.merino website and put Mallory in their search box or look for a link to Mallory on their Wooly History page. There is a great deal of info about Mallory and the 3 year duration academic tests of the clothing he was wearing when his body was found on Everest were subjected to. It seems that his gaberdine, wool and tweed layering system was lighter and more efficient than all the modern synthetic fabrics put together ! Also the type of 1920's boots he was using were found to be more than equal to the task. "Mallory's clothing and footwear was 20% and 40% lighter respectively."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE