Home made - Small Trangia

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
First Thanks to Fred Gordon who planted the idea in my head :D

So this it the start of a project will post picks as it comes together.

The Bits
Bits.jpg

Basic Assembly
Asembeld.jpg

Get the Idea? will use riv nuts again to lock it together and most likely legs to stabilize it.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Nice project :)

Can you tell me the reasoning behind the bottom bit of the stove? Why not just do away with it and just have the wind shield top bit and a couple of cut down skewers for a pan stand?

leon-1

Nice project :)

Can you tell me the reasoning behind the bottom bit of the stove? Why not just do away with it and just have the wind shield top bit and a couple of cut down skewers for a pan stand?

Firstly it holds the stove off the ground ( not so important here, but in extreme cold you'll have difficulties lighting the meths if it's too cold) and secondly it allows air flow through the base which should make the burner a little more effective.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Firstly it holds the stove off the ground ( not so important here, but in extreme cold you'll have difficulties lighting the meths if it's too cold) and secondly it allows air flow through the base which should make the burner a little more effective.

LOL aiye, I know about trying to light cold meths :lmao: . Saying that though the Swedish Military trangia burner sits directly on the ground hence the advise to keep the meths bottle inside your coat if it's chilly. It'd be interesting to read how you get on with it SS if you were to try it both with and without the base.

Gailainne

Life Member
Neat use of the Bushcrafters friend (the Ikea, Woolworths cutlery strainer), I like the idea that they will fit either side of your mug, so taking up less room, nice one :D, I presume the burner and a small fuel bottle will fit inside your mug ? along with whatever hot drink suits.

Nice one

Stephen

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Neat use of the Bushcrafters friend (the Ikea, Woolworths cutlery strainer), I like the idea that they will fit either side of your mug, so taking up less room, nice one :D, I presume the burner and a small fuel bottle will fit inside your mug ? along with whatever hot drink suits.

Nice one

Stephen

That is the plan - how ever I am liking the hobo as fuel is more eco.

Gailainne

Life Member
I would suggest making the top part as big as will fit your mug, even increasing it by making crenallations, and bending them in, or out so they fit, that way you get the best of both worlds, either meths or, use it as a wood stove. if you make the steps smaller and bigger from top to bottom they will fit inside each other while packed but provide more air when set up. Not the best of explanations but I hope you understand.

Stephen

Ive just reread this, if it doesnt make sense, pm me I'll send a pdf of what I mean.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Firstly, thanks for the compliment. The stove looks really good and I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it.:D

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
This would be the normal Config.(900g) Full burner
NormalConfig.jpg

This would be Extended Config (1100g) Full burner
ExtendedConfig.jpg

Assembled 3/4 wind shield. Used a bit of Stainless Steel will use a light alloy on the finished one.
Assembeld.jpg

With the Cup on
WithCup-Pot.jpg

Has the option of the extended legs for stability but it seems OK without.
A bit of filling to smooth off the rough edges and I can get it tested.

Thanks for looking The prototype might be up for grabs once the final one is made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE