Holly uses

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have a freshly cut holly staff about 2 metres long and was wondering what I could use it for. Its fairly straight so would make a good walking stick but is Holly a good material for walking sticks?

Its about 2.5 inches thick at the top and just a bit thicker than my thumb at the bottom.

Can Holly be used for a Bow-drill?

Is it a good wood for general carving?

ta

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have a freshly cut holly staff about 2 metres long and was wondering what I could use it for. Its fairly straight so would make a good walking stick but is Holly a good material for walking sticks?

Its about 2.5 inches thick at the top and just a bit thicker than my thumb at the bottom.

Can Holly be used for a Bow-drill?

Is it a good wood for general carving?

ta

Hi Bob,

As far as I know Holly is too hard a wood to be suitable for use as a hearth and spindle for bow drill. However the hardness makes it ideal for use as the bearing block. The leaves also make a great lubricant for the bearing block and top of the spindle.

Hope that helps.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I beilieve holly is a good wood for carving, but it is toxic, so not suitable for food use, eg. spoons. Not sure how well it wood stand up to use as a walking stick, but my geuss is it would be ok, if in doubt you could put a rubber cap on the end?

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Holly is really good for making walking sticks. If you have a straightish piece about 1 inch thick diminishing, remove the bark asap (otherwise causes unsightly stainig) and prune any side branches to about 2 inch. This stops them rotting back into the shaft whilst drying and they can then be shaped into a nice feature. As with most sticks they can be straightened once seasoned by wetting.
John

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Cheers Rosco - think thats what ill end up doing with it - although never made one in my life so are there any tutorials on here or any hints n tips anyone can give me?

The staff has a nobbly bit half way down which i think would make a nice little feature on the stick.

I shall de-bark it later on then.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
makes good handles on things like hammers, favoured by the romans for that purpose infact ;)

Also used for fine hard turnery, such as boxes and chess pieces. Trouble is seasoning it without splits :C It should be very good walking stick material, I've heard it makes a good bow too

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Bent Stick here asked me to find him some holly and/or hawthorn to make a bow from, apparently they both make great bows.

But after splitting down a fair bit of both I can conclude that the idea of a 6foot length without twists is a quest for the impossible! :slap: So I guess I shall just be useing ash on my bowmaking course this year :rolleyes: at least it's reliable! ;)

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
This staff of mine is completely rigid and solid as a rock! How could it be made in to a bow - surely bow wood needs to be a bit flexible????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE